Holistic Drug Rehab Centers: Top Rehabilitation Facilities
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Rehabilitation is a critical part of ensuring a person suffering from an addiction can effectively recover. Traditional rehabs were often preferred due to the use of medication, detoxification, and a psychological approach. Holistic addiction rehab has become a popular alternative in modern times. Numerous holistic alcohol and drug rehab centers have been established to provide people with an option apart from the more traditional addiction treatments. Studies have also shown that holistic rehab programs do offer effective results.
Learn About Holistic Drug Rehabs:
- What Is A Holistic Rehab?
- What are the Core Principles of Holistic Rehabilitation?
- Holistic Vs. Traditional Rehab: What’s The Difference?
- What Are The Benefits Of Holistic Rehabs?
- What To Look For In A Holistic Rehab?
- How To Know If Holistic Rehab Is A Right Choice?
- How To Find The Right Holistic Rehab Program?
- What Are The Top Holistic Rehabs In The US?
What Is A Holistic Rehab?
A holistic drug rehab center is a facility that focuses on the patient as a “whole,” providing a treatment approach that will help to heal all elements of that individual. These centers generally do not utilize medication as part of a detoxification process and will not look at the person as a separate entity from their addiction.
Those individuals interested in a non-12 step holistic drug rehab will usually turn to one of these facilities. The approaches typically offered to a person when they undergo treatment at a dual diagnosis rehab or a more traditional facility do not form part of the holistic treatment procedures.
Core Principles of Holistic Rehabilitation
One speaks of substance abuse when a person is using drugs or alcohol in a misguided attempt to keep a specific issue or aspect in their life under control. Sometimes the person isn’t aware of what this issue is. A holistic addiction treatment center will focus on improving mental, physical, and emotional health, targeting the problematic aspects so clients can become and remain sober. According to holistic programs, all three areas of health are linked, meaning that a problem in one will affect the other two. Efforts are made to treat each area so the individual can sustain sobriety after the main issues leading to substance misuse are resolved. Like traditional rehabs, these facilities have trained therapists to provide individual and group therapy, among other standard rehab features. Additional focus is placed on:
- Organic meal plans to improve physical health
- Yoga, tai chi, and other meditation exercises
- Sports activities – swimming, walking, biking, hiking
- Music and art therapy
- Acupuncture, massage or other complementary therapy
- Treatment in scenic locations – seaside or in the mountains
Holistic drug rehab centers aim to treat addiction by introducing a few new chemicals to the patient’s body as possible and achieving a cleanse through herbal remedies and proper nutrition. In cases of severe addiction, undergoing withdrawal at a holistic recovery center is not recommended, because medication to prevent dangerous side effects, such as seizures, is not administered. In less severe cases, this could be an advantage – holistic practitioners maintain that psychiatric medications can lead to prolonged periods of toxicity, postponing the benefits of a drug-free life.
Holistic Vs. Traditional Rehab: What’s The Difference?
The main difference when comparing traditional vs. holistic rehab centers is the approach that these facilities tend to take in providing the individual with treatment for their addiction.
With a traditional rehabilitation facility, the view is that the person is entirely separate from the addiction. The treatment programs that will be offered to the individual at these centers focus on addressing the addiction – and through that, the person is expected to heal from the substance abuse disorder they have succumbed to.
Things are somewhat different when looking at holistic drug rehab treatment centers.
Benefits Of Holistic Rehabs
There are many holistic drug rehab benefits that people should consider if they find that traditional treatments do not work for them. The major benefit is the fact that the person is targeted in the procedure, instead of the addiction. Furthermore, a holistic therapy treatment center will focus on the person as a whole – and provide services that address all areas of the patient’s well-being.
Some benefits to be expected when looking at what is holistic rehab might include:
- Improvements in diet are made to help the person’s physical health improve by providing their body with the right nutrients. Nutrient deficiencies are found to be shared among individuals who abuse drugs and alcohol.
- Meditation exercises, along with tai chi and yoga, are often introduced to the individual. This helps the person find inner peace with themselves and plays a vital role in their road toward successful recovery.
- The person is often also provided access to sports and physical activities. This helps them improve their muscle mass and work on body composition, which is another area where addicts often fall short. These activities may include hiking, riding a bike, and swimming. For patients who do feel weak, even simple physical exercises like taking a walk every day could pose beneficial.
Many holistic rehab facilities will also use several forms of alternative therapies and treatments to address the mental and spiritual health of the individual.
These alternative therapies may include:
- Art therapy
- Music therapy
- Massage therapy
The location of many holistic alcohol rehab centers is often also considered a benefit. These facilities are usually found in scenic areas where the person is allowed to get in touch with nature.
What To Look For In A Holistic Rehab
Finding the right holistic treatment center is critical to ensure full recovery.
- A good idea would always be to collect information about more than one holistic drug rehab treatment centers in the area. Some research would then be needed to gain more insight into each of these treatment facilities.
- One of the most critical questions that a person should ask a holistic rehab center is about their success rate. When the facility does state that they have a high success rate, they should be able to and willing to provide proof of their claims.
- Another factor to consider is pricing, as some of these centers can get very pricey – especially when looking at those that offer inpatient treatments in scenic settings. Individuals who do need access to an affordable holistic drug rehab will have a more limited number of options to choose from. Requiring a treatment program that is more affordable, however, does not mean the person should not ask for proof on the efficacy of the facility’s approach to drug and alcohol addiction.
How To Know If Holistic Rehab Is A Right Choice
Individuals interested in finding an addiction treatment center will fall into one of two groups:
- They have tried a traditional addiction treatment program in the past, but it did not work effectively for them.
- They have done research and compared holistic versus the traditional treatment and found the holistic approach to drug rehabilitation more suitable to their own beliefs.
Whether holistic therapy for drug rehabilitation will work for a person depends on how well they will be able to stick to the program. The program may be highly beneficial for some people, as there are studies that show success rates with an approach to treating a substance abuse disorder. This, however, is not the case with every person.
It is also important to note that different types of facilities do exist. Thus, the person should be admitted to one that is appropriate for them. A person under the age of 20, for example, might need to be enrolled in a center that offers explicitly holistic teenage drug rehabilitation services.
How To Find The Right Holistic Rehab Program
Since the use of holistic alcohol and drug rehab is only gaining in popularity now, the choices a person can choose from compared to traditional facilities may feel somewhat limited. For most people, the internet is one of the very first resources that will help them find a holistic drug treatment center that is close to them.
It is always important to consider any reviews and testimonies that have been left by previous patients. These reviews can be found directly on Google when searching for a holistic addiction treatment center. By taking a look at the experiences of former patients, an addict or their loved ones can gain more insight into how effective the treatments at the specific center seems to be.
If money is a particular problem when looking for a facility, then looking for the free rehab centers that offer holistic treatments is something the individual will need to take into consideration.
Top Holistic Rehabs In The US
While several centers have already opened offering patients access to holistic drug rehab programs in the US, not all of these facilities offer the same level of service. It is always essential for people to do thorough research to ensure they find a facility that will provide them with compassionate yet effective treatment programs to ensure a successful recovery.
At the moment, there are a couple of holistic treatment centers in the United States that do seem to stand out when compared to other options that people can opt for. Individuals who are looking to get treated for their addiction through an approach should consider one of the following options, which are currently rated as the top holistic rehabs in the US.
Holistic Inpatient Treatment Centers
The Sanctuary at Sedona is an addiction recovery pioneer. They have their trademarked recovery program that helps clients learn to live without drugs. It is a one-month residential program that combines Eastern therapies with scientific evidence in healing modalities that achieve concrete, measurable results. The treatment addresses the root cause of the abuse or addiction; it does not focus on the effects of it alone. Sanctuary at Sedona offers alcohol, cocaine, cannabis, opiate, and prescription drug addiction treatment.
Inner Balance Treatment Center has been very successful with customized treatment programs that address the chemical imbalance. Cravings for one’s substance of choice are eliminated when a person’s biochemical imbalances are corrected. For instance, holistic alcohol rehabilitation involves treating and repairing the entire individual from the damage alcohol has inflicted on the mind, body, and emotions. These three elements need to be rebalanced to guarantee full, long-term recovery and success. Many treatment centers, even ones that call themselves holistic, may focus on just one of these elements, making it impossible to achieve lifelong sobriety. Inner Balance’s qualified staff go beyond the mere symptoms of addiction. They also teach coping skills and target the source of cravings, giving the tools necessary to live a life without drugs and alcohol.
Outpatient Treatment Facilities
12 Keys is an outpatient treatment center with years of experience in treating a wide variety of addictions. The therapy is flexible and can be customized to help one cope with cocaine, heroin, crystal meth, or prescription pill addiction as well as combined drug and alcohol addiction. The certified personnel can treat comorbid disorders and work with individuals with dual diagnoses, such as post-traumatic stress disorder and addiction, through cognitive behavioral therapy and EMDR. They cater to clients looking for alcohol rehab, drug rehab, dual diagnosis treatment, and even all three at the same time.
Passages Venice is another reputable holistic rehab center, which does not approach addiction as a disease. This facility’s non-12-step, a one-on-one treatment program is aimed at healing the underlying causes of addiction. They have a very high success rate and have seen many clients go back to normal, healthy lives without drugs. A team of industry experts designed the flexible and customizable program.
- Breslin K. T., Reed M. R., Malone S. B. An holistic approach to substance abuse treatment. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. 2003; 35(2): 247-51. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12924747.
- Aletraris L., Paino M., Edmond M. B., Roman P. M., Bride B. E. The use of art and music therapy in substance abuse treatment programs. Journal of Addictions Nursing. 2014; 25(4): 190–196. doi:10.1097/JAN.0000000000000048. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4268880/.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. Treatment Approaches for Drug Addiction. 2019. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/treatment-approaches-drug-addiction.
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.