Christian Drug Rehab Centers: Faith-Based Facilities
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Christian drug rehab is an addiction treatment that puts faith and Christ at the base of healing and recovery. The purpose of Christian drug treatment programs is to help patients fight addiction and achieve sobriety with the help of Christian based philosophies.
Learn About Christian Drug Rehabs:
- What Are The Christian Rehabs?
- What To Expect In The Christian Rehabs?
- What Are The Different Approaches In Christian Rehabs?
- What Is The Spiritual Side Of Addiction Recovery?
- What Are The Benefits Of Christian Rehabs?
- What Are The Possible Downsides Of Christian Rehabs?
- How To Know If Christian Rehab Is The Right Choice For A Person?
- How To Find A Christian Rehab Center?
- What Are The Top 5 Christian Rehabs In The US?
What Are Christian Rehabs?
A Christian rehab center is similar to any other type of rehab center. The purpose is the same, helping people fight addiction, but the approach is different. Christ is the base of the entire treatment plan, and the goal is to strengthen the spiritual foundation so that the patient can maintain sobriety.
Some of the treatment options offered by Christian rehab are:
- Drug addiction education
- Education on spiritual principles
- Drug counseling
- Development of a relationship with God
- Religious studies
- Group therapy
- Participation in meditation and prayer
- Help during the withdrawal process
- Relapse-prevention training
Christian drug and alcohol rehab centers try to connect patients with God using a faith-based approach. God is the only solution to achieving long-term sobriety, and by maintaining a healthy spiritual relationship, the patient will be able to free themselves from addiction. Many such centers have ministers, priests, and other religious mentors among the staff.
What To Expect In The Christian Rehabs?
Once admitted to a Christian drug rehabilitation program, each patient is assessed to determine their specific needs and to benefit from a personalized therapy plan. The next step is helping the patient go through the chemical detox (if needed) and the withdrawal process.
In an inpatient facility, the patient will have to attend church and faith-based groups and services regularly and will be encouraged to join a Christian 12-step group. Some centers offer unique services such as family programs and recreational outings once the drug rehab is completed. These services, provided through the patient’s involvement in the Church or the Christian rehab’s referral, are highly recommended to surround the patient by supportive and healthy groups.
Faith-Based Recovery Program Approach
The therapies used in addiction treatment may be more general, or they could specifically be Christian-developed programs.
Standalone 12-Step Approach
The 12-step approach is often used in conjunction with other therapies for Christian alcoholism rehab and more. However, it can also be used on its own. While this approach is often presented in non-religious ways, it has its roots as a Christian rehab method. This can be seen in the steps of the rehab program. For example, in phase two, users must come to see that a power higher than themselves is needed to restore sanity—this higher power in the Christian interpretation being God and Jesus Christ. Step three is to turn one’s life and will over to God. Other actions are similarly tied to religious principles.
Celebrate Recovery Approach
The Celebrate Recovery approach was created by Pastor Rick Warren in response to 12-step programs lessening their connection to God and Christ. It can be used in faith-based alcohol treatment centers, drug rehab facilities, and for spiritually overcoming most any addiction. The program is based explicitly on the Beatitudes and encourages participants to take things out of their own hands and place them into the hands of Christ.
Potter’s House Approach
Potter’s House approach is one that strictly focuses on addiction recovery. It is not meant to treat co-occurring disorders, and pharmaceutical interventions are not offered. It is a Christian-based alcohol rehab and drug rehab that combines vocational training, work-therapy, church participation, and therapeutic programming to give residents the ability to live a better life.
Lazarus Project Approach
The Lazarus Project is offered through Bethany Church. However, it can be adapted by other Christian addiction treatment centers. It is a year-long program that requires a full-time commitment from the patients. The program emphasizes developing the body, soul, and spirit. Elements include:
- classroom training
- community service
- Bible study
- B-Group meetings
Participants work directly with a mentor throughout the program, and once finished, can become mentors themselves.
Christian drug treatment programs do not have to use just one of these approaches. These rehabs rarely do, instead of combining them and others in ways that best benefit patients. Users have to evaluate a facility and its offerings before determining which is right for them.
What Is The Spiritual Side Of Addiction Recovery?
One of the consequences of addiction is the individual’s need to separate from family, friends, loved ones, and God. The goal of any Christian based rehab is to help the individual develop or strengthen their relationship with God in their path towards recovery.
But the values taught in Christian drug rehabs do not only apply to individuals with strong religious beliefs. Spirituality is not only about connecting to God, but also about forgiving past wrongs, living a renewed life and loving all people equally. These are spiritual principles that are universally available, and which apply to anyone who is searching for a new focus in life.
Spirituality is about:
- Receiving and giving support to those who need it
- Finding one’s moral compass by exploring their feelings and beliefs
- Letting go of pride and realizing that anyone has human weaknesses
- Learning how to respect oneself and others
- Realizing that there is a way to improve the current situation with support and willpower
What Are The Benefits Of Christian Rehabs?
- One of the benefits offered by a Christian drug rehabilitation is spiritual support. The individual focuses on prayer and meditation, which help them reconnect with themselves. This way, the patient gets closer to God, at the same time, strengthening their relationship with the ones around them.
- Community is also one of the benefits. The patient has the opportunity to connect with people who have the same beliefs, providing much-needed spiritual support.
- Christian rehab facilities do not only focus on the spirit but also the physical addiction issues, offering medical help for detoxing and withdrawal symptoms. Patients are also engaged in healthy activities such as art therapy or yoga to relieve stress.
- The pastoral staff in Christian drug rehab facilities also play an essential role in the success of the treatment. The patient can connect with a role model who will promote positive growth and teach them how to control their actions and thoughts.
- Faith-based drug rehab centers also provide living arrangements centered around faith for those who need a safe place to stay during their recovery.
What Are The Possible Downsides Of Christian Rehabs?
One of the possible downsides of Christian based drug rehab centers is that if the patient is not a religious person, they will struggle and fight the treatment program.
The same could happen to patients whose parents or friends demanded Christian ideals, but they acted in an un-Christian manner themselves. The patient will have difficulty in trusting the staff and might consider them hypocrites.
How To Know If The Christian Rehab Is a Right Choice For a Person?
Choosing any rehabilitation program is a decision that should not be taken lightly. The patient has to be comfortable with the facility, treatment plan, staff, program, and their peers.
A Christian based drug rehabilitation is an excellent choice for religious people or for those who believe that spirituality is part of the treatment process. Forcing oneself into a program that will make the patient question the methods used or that will trigger old issues, is going to do more harm than good.
How To Find a Christian Rehab Center?
Many Christian rehab centers offer affordable and high-quality treatment programs, but this does not mean that they can address anyone’s needs. When looking for such a center, there are some steps that should be taken until finding the right one.
- Check what treatments they offer – individual, group counseling, 12-step program, inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation, etc. Some centers also provide counseling sessions with family members. Also, in a faith-based rehab, the foundation of the counseling should be a spiritual belief in addition to psychological principles.
- Find out what the faith basis is. The center might focus on a different set of beliefs or faith than one do. Not having the same spiritual principles means the patient will not feel comfortable with the program, and the results will not be the expected ones.
- Check if the program is accredited and what are the qualifications of the staff.
- Try to get in touch with former patients or find online reviews regarding their experience at that facility.
- Ask about the cost.
- Check what aftercare program they offer. After rehab, most patients still need support to continue using the techniques and principles acquired during the rehab program. The clinic should provide such aftercare or help the patient find an aftercare program.
Top 5 Christian Rehabs In The US
New Creation Recovery, Rancho Cucamonga, Southern California
This Christian inpatient rehab is a renowned clinic offering reliable addiction programs and mental health care. This is a Christian rehab for women offering a wide range of programs and dedicated staff with years of experience. Women benefit from a comprehensive treatment, which also includes outdoor activities, personalized diet plans, and Bible study, and prayer in a relaxed ambiance.
Home of Grace, Vancleave, Mississippi
Home of Grace is a Christian alcohol and drug rehab opened in 1965. Today it is one of the renowned leaders among addiction centers. The facility offers a 13-week program, which includes chapel and devotion services, on-campus work project, and counseling. The center facilitates the perfect environment for physical, emotional, and spiritual recovery. Using Biblical solutions, patients understand what triggered their addiction, but also how to control it.
Faith Farm Ministries, Boynton Beach, FL, United States
Another top Christian based rehab center is Faith Farm Ministries. In the beginning, the center offered a 3-day program for men dealing with alcohol addiction, based on Biblical training. Today, the facility is one of the men-only centers that provide extensive rehabilitation to men with a 9-month recovery program based on educational courses, work therapy, fitness activities, group, and individual counseling.
Desert Cove Recovery, Scottsdale, Arizona
One of the best Christian drug rehabilitation centers in Arizona is Desert Cove Recovery. The center is specialized in relapse prevention, teaching patients how to handle any future trauma or pain without returning to intoxicants.
The facility offers a holistic approach to addiction treatment in a safe and intimate environment. The program also includes parts of the 12-step program, and each patient benefits from a personalized treatment plan based on the Bible and the Christian beliefs.
Sparrow’s Nest, Mount Hope, West Virginia
Sparrow’s Nest is one of the women-only centers where women who deal with addiction can feel safe. At this faith-based drug rehab, patients can fight addiction with the help of God’s restoring powers and the 12-month in-patient program, work therapy, individual therapy, family interaction, group therapy, and psychosocial therapy.
Thanks to Christian drug and alcohol counseling, patients are helped to re-enter society as responsible and contributing citizens, ready to live an addiction-free life.
- Neff JA, Shorkey CT, Windsor LC. Contrasting faith-based and traditional substance abuse treatment programs. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2006 Jan;30(1):49-61. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16377452
- Lawrence RE, Rasinski KA, Yoon JD, Koenig HG, Meador KG, Curlin FA. Physicians’ beliefs about faith-based treatments for alcoholism. Psychiatr Serv. 2012 Jun;63(6):597-604. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22476161
How the helpline works
For those seeking addiction treatment for themselves or a loved one, the addictionresource.com helpline is a private and convenient solution.
Calls to any general helpline (non-facility specific 1-8XX numbers) for your visit will be answered by American Addiction Centers (AAC).
We are standing by 24/7 to discuss your treatment options. Our representatives work solely for AAC and will discuss whether an AAC facility may be an option for you. Our helpline is offered at no cost to you and with no obligation to enter into treatment.
Neither addictionresource.com nor AAC receives any commission or other fee that is dependent upon which treatment provider a visitor may ultimately choose.