What Is Lortab Addiction? Know Its Symptoms And Treatment
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
While the use of Lortabs can provide effective relief of pain and related symptoms, understanding the addiction potential of the medication is essential. Lortab addiction can cause several potential problems in a person’s life, including adverse health effects. When one is starting opioid treatment, it is vital to know what is in Lortab, how it looks, and how the signs of Lortab addiction can be recognized. A detailed overview of the treatment options that are available for individuals who have become addicted to the substance is also provided.
Table of Contents
What Is Lortab?
Lortab is a type of prescription medication that is provided to individuals who present with pain symptoms during a visit with a physician. Individuals asking if Lortab is an opioid should understand that this medication combines two different chemicals:
- Hydrocodone is the first chemical that is found in this particular drug. This is a type of opioid.
- The other Lortab ingredient that is combined with the Hydrocodone is Acetaminophen.
While this medication is considered effective, there are certain factors that patients need to take into account. Regardless of whether Lortab generic is used or the actual brand name option, it is crucial to consider Lortab side effects, as well as precautions.
While a decline in the prescription of this medication and other solutions that combine Acetaminophen and Hydrocodone has been noted in Emergency Departments, but the drug still remains a popular prescription option for individuals with pain-related symptoms.
Lortab Street Names, Other Brand Names, and Generics
While a Lortab elixir is a popular option to help alleviate pain symptoms, it is essential to notice, that it does not always go by this particular name. Other names are sometimes used to describe this drug.
Other Brand Names For Lortab
When Lortab vs. Norco is a comparison being made, it is vital to note that these are the same drugs. This is actually considered another name for Lortab. Other brand names and generic options that may be the same as this particular medicine include:
In some cases, additional ingredients are added, or is concentration of the components is altered. In such scenarios, Lortab dosage should be compared Vicodin ES or Vicodin HP, as well as with formulations like Lorcet Plus and Lorcet HD.
Lortab Street Names
Lortab 10 325 street name may also be different, depending on where it is purchased. The July 2018 DEA Intelligence Report provides an overview of the street names and nicknames often used to refer to this medicine. These include:
Buying Lortab online may present a person with the alternative names including the names that are used to refer to the actual chemicals used in the medication.
As this drug consists of an active chemical that is classified as an opioid a concern regarding the possibility of developing a dependence on the medication raises. Addiction to Lortab is highly possible. Also, when a person takes too much of this medication and suddenly stops, the individual falls under the risk of experiencing Lortab withdrawal symptoms as well.
People may also sometimes consider going to the extreme and using methods other than simply taking the pills in order to experience a high. For example, it is not uncommon to find someone snorting Lortab once they have developed an addiction to medicine.
Behavioral Symptoms Of Lortab Addiction
Some specific behavioral issues and symptoms are often observed in people who have developed Lortab addiction. This happens not only due to the actual effects that the drug can have on the individual’s brain and emotional health but also due to the consequences that tend to develop due to Lortab addiction.
Some of the most critical signs of an addiction to the drug that needs to be recognized include:
- The individual may start to isolate themselves from socializing with friends and family.
- Activities that used to interest the person may no longer be relevant to them.
- Relationships may be damaged due to the consequences of the disorder.
- The person may start to lie or even steal constantly, and this might not be how they usually act.
- The individual may start to fail tests, and their schoolwork might suffer in the process – this is the case if the person is still at a school-going age.
- Individuals who are already adults may start to show a lack of performance at work – in some cases, and the person might even lose their current position.
- There might be mood swings in a person who has not experienced such a problem in the past.
- Financial problems may develop – the person may find themselves in need of money very often.
- Doctor shopping is another important sign to recognize – the person may frequently visit a different doctor in order to get more than a single prescription for this drug.
To experience an elevated high, some people may also start to mix substances. Such a decision may cause changes in a person’s behavior. An example would be mixing Xanax and Lortab. This interaction produces new side-effects related to both substances and become even more dangerous.
Physical Symptoms Of Lortab Addiction
There are specific physical symptoms that a person may also exhibit when they become addicted to this particular drug. It is important to recognize not only the behavioral symptoms but also the physical signs of dependency. Below is a list of the physical symptoms that a person might have while Lortab is staying in their system.
Some potential signs and symptoms of addiction to recognize that fall within this category include:
- A feeling of elevation
- A loss of consciousness
- Slow breathing
- Constricted pupils
Lortab Addiction Treatment
Whether using a brand name or generic, it is important to recognize the potential of becoming addicted to the substance. Failure to recognize the signs and not taking action can lead to an increased risk of Lortab overdose, which can be dangerous for the person.
Treatment depends on how severe the addiction is. A person may be advised to join a rehabilitation program if they do show signs dependence. Treatment may be provided to the individual as an outpatient program or through a residential addiction treatment method.
The detoxification step is usually considered very important. During this time, the person will need to stop using the medication. Lortab ingredients that the individual’s body was exposed due during the addiction period will start to be expelled from the person’s system.
- Michael A. Grasso, Zachary D.W. Dezman, Angela C. Comer, David A. Jerrard, The Decline in Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen Prescriptions in Emergency Departments in the Veterans Health Administration Between 2009 to 2015, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4957666/
- DEA Inteligence Report: Slang Terms and Code Words: A Reference for Law Enforcement Personnel, https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2018-07/DIR-022-18.pdf
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.