What is Dilaudid?
Dilaudid (hydromorphone), is an opioid analgesic prescribed to treat medium to severe levels of pain. The drug is given to patients who have undergone surgical procedures. Dilaudid comes in the form of capsules, either instant- or timed-release. It can also be injected or taken rectally. Dilaudid has a high potential for addiction.
What is a Dilaudid high like?
A Dilaudid high is similar to an opioid high. Dilaudid, like morphine, interacts with kappa receptors but lasts for a shorter period. The effect on the brain is almost immediate. When a user takes the drug, the receptors are activated, which increasing the user’s tolerance to pain, resulting in a euphoric rush effect.
How is being high on Dilaudid achieved?
When a Dilaudid user alters the prescribed dose or method of dosage, such as by crushing the capsule or by mixing the drug with alcohol, this can result in a high.
Long-term side effects of Dilaudid abuse
Depending on the amount of hydromorphone (Dilaudid) taken, the drug can be habit-forming and lead to long-term side effects that may endanger one’s physical and mental condition.
Among the long-term side effects of Dilaudid abuse are:
- Intense cravings for the drug, both physically and mentally
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty urinating
- Aggravated present medical conditions, especially kidney, gallbladder, liver, intestines and pancreas problems
- Difficulty swallowing
What happens during an overdose?
When a user consumes a high dose of Dilaudid and is suspected of a drug overdose, he or she may experience the following complications:
- Respiratory arrest (slowing or stopping breathing)
- Cold sweats
What to do if a person is addicted to Dilaudid?
If a person is addicted to hydromorphone (Dilaudid), immediate steps must be taken.
Depending on a user’s severity of addiction and length of usage, a detox treatment will be advised to remove the harmful toxins infused in the body. If the user’s addiction to Dilaudid has become a life-long habit, he or she will have to undergo an intensive detox treatment, requiring admission into a detox and rehab facility. Detox is just an initial step to help the user achieve full recovery.
Can a Dilaudid addiction be treated?
Addiction to Dilaudid can be treated. Depending on the level of addiction and length of usage, the person can be advised to undergo a detoxification treatment.
Why undergo a detox treatment?
Dilaudid users who have been diagnosed with opioid abuse are often advised to undergo a detox treatment for the following reasons:
- Receive proper care and medical treatment in a rehab facility
- Bring back one’s normal function in the community
- Restore one’s self-esteem and confidence
- Avoid life-threatening complications
- Become drug-free
What to expect in an inpatient detox treatment?
- The patient is admitted to a rehab facility where close monitoring is done under the supervision of a doctor and medical staff member.
- The patient is expected to stay in the rehab facility for an average of 5 to 14 days to treat the drug addiction problem.
- Individual therapy sessions are undergone to help the patient become free from the physical and mental addiction to Dilaudid drug.
- Group discussions and counseling are included into the detox treatment program.
- Personal enhancement programs are included in the program, such as physical exercise workouts, meditation and other forms of recreational activities.
How to pick a strong detox program
The treatment of Dilaudid addiction can lead to a positive outcome if the following factors are present during your one-on-one meeting with a rehab facility manager:
- The detox programs are designed to help patients achieve full recovery after completion of treatment.
- The rehab facility only employs licensed professionals, counselors, doctors and medical staff members.
- The facility has a solid track record of providing quality care and treatment in a safe and well-facilitated environment.
- Proof of license or accreditation to operate the treatment facility.
- Availability of various detox and rehab programs.
- A wide range of treatment packages to suit one’s budget.
- Positive reviews, testimonials, and comments left by past clients are readily available.
When left untreated, the addiction could cause the destruction of the addict’s life, health, and well-being. If you or a loved one has become dependent on the drug, it’s about time you put it to a stop. Seeking professional help is your first step to getting the right treatment program to help you achieve full recovery. I suggest you contact a specialist dealing with Dilaudid addiction and discuss all the possible options to treat the problem. Remember, quitting cold turkey is very risky, so don’t try without first consulting a medical professional.