What Are the Best Ways to Use Kratom: Methods and Dosage
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is a tree growing in Southeast Asia, where it has been used by local people for hundreds of years for medicinal purposes. Although only a few clinical studies are available, these plants are is a well-known alternative medication. There are several eatable forms of Kratom. That gives many possibilities to consume it. Here are the most frequent methods of preparation.
Table of Contents
Different Forms Of Kratom
Forms of kratom include:
- Fresh leaves
- Dry leaves
Consumable Forms of Kratom
Users consume Kratom in many different textures.
- Fresh leaves
- Dry Leaves
Ways Of Using Kratom
There are three main options to prepare kratom: ingest it directly, process it or mix it with food.
- Direct Ingestion
- Processing it
- Mixing Kratom Into Food
What are the different ways to consume kratom?
Different ways to consume kratom include:
- Direct ingestion
- Chewing the leaves
- Swallowing the powder form
- Kratom capsules
- Mixing it with food
- Dissolving it in liquids
- Adding it to food
- Processing kratom
- Smoking it
- Drinking tea made from the leaves
Direct Ingestion of Kratom
Inhabitants of Southeast Asia often enjoy Kratom by chewing fresh leaves of the plant. It is the most immediate way of consumption, as it only requires to remove the central vein from the leaf.
A dried leaf has a tougher and rough texture and is, therefore, less practical or enjoyable to chew. For that reason, most people rather crush dry leaves into powder.
The quickest way to ingest Kratom powder is to swallow it. Scoop the desired amount of powder and put it directly to mouth. While it is still in mouth, take a big sip of water. Swirl it around inside the mouth, until that the powder mixes up with water. Then swallow the substance. That “toss and wash” method is one of the most popular ones.
Kratom powder is also available in edible capsules, much like any other supplements. Users swallow them and drink some water or any other liquid afterward. Effects are known to appear after half an hour. This method seems to be convenient for several reasons:
- Users don’t have to weight and measure the powder
- Users don’t need to prepare it
- Users will avoid the bitterish taste of Kratom powder
Mixing Kratom With Food
Dissolving In Liquids
The Kratom powder can easily be added to liquids and dissolve.It can be added it to water, juice, milk, tea, or even hot chocolate. One more possible option is to mix either powder or the paste into a smoothie. People often mix it with sweet liquids, to neutralize the naturally bitter taste of the powder.
Add It To Food
Kratom powder of paste can be mixed with food. For example
- Spread on bread with honey
- Mixed in with oatmeal, pudding, applesauce or yogurt
- Baked into cookies or cakes
The powder has a slightly bitter taste,so users often add some spices or flavor modifiers to it.
If someone wants to take time or don’t want to consume Kratom directly of with food, one can also process it.
It is possible to smoke dried leaves of the plant, just like nicotine. But that has a significant disadvantage. To obtain a substantial effect, one would have to burn quite a large amount of leaves. That is both less practical and can also harm users airways.
The widely preferred method of the drug use is to drink Kratom as a tea. It can be done various ways:
- Boiling dried leaves and drinking the infusion is very popular among experienced That method brings the strongest sensations, so it is best to try with caution.
- Many people rather crush dried leaves into powder or buy it as such.
- To change the taste, some users mix it with other types of tea, add lemon juice or sweeteners.
- Produce tea extracts for later use: just evaporate the water from Kratom tea. It will end up with resin extracts in the form of small pellets. It can be stored for later, swallow them directly or dissolve them in hot water.
How to know how much kratom to do?
How much kratom to do depends on individual body type, medical history and the type of strain or purity of the powder. To find the correct dosage it is advised to start with a lowest dose that is known as one gram. Then one should wait for 20 minutes to see the effects. Do not rely on third-parties advice, because everyone is different and will react differently to each substance. Keep in mind the many factors that can impact on reaction to Kratom:
- Physical and mental health issues. Previous mental diseases and metabolism plays important role.
- Diet and possibly other substances that being used (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, medicine)
- Body type and lifestyle: people with an active or passive way of spending their days will have their bodies react very differently to any active substance, including Kratom
- The type of Kratom strain and powder: is it a pure substance or a mix of other strains? Have other extracts been added?
- Personal tolerance to Kratom
- Daily hygiene, which mainly involved healthy sleep
Remember to take into account the before-mentioned factors that can influence reactions. During the testing phase for preferred dosage, stick to similar conditions. For example, try always to be similarly rested.
Users are commonly asking if it is better to use kratom after eating or on an empty stomach? That part is tricky because one can always have different ingredients in the stomach or different amounts of them. That’s why it’s hard to get a reliable reference point.
The same issue is with the question what is the best time to take Kratom? There is no scientifically proven information on this topic, so it is still an open question.
- National Instituteon drug Abuse. Kratom. 2019. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/kratom.
- Fluyau D., Revadigar N. Biochemical Benefits, Diagnosis, and Clinical Risks Evaluation of Kratom. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2017; 8:62. doi:10.3389/fpsyt.2017.00062. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5402527/.
- Cinosi E., Martinotti G., Simonato P., et al. Following “the Roots” of Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa): The Evolution of an Enhancer from a Traditional Use to Increase Work and Productivity in Southeast Asia to a Recreational Psychoactive Drug in Western Countries. BioMed Research International. 2015; 2015: 968786. doi:10.1155/2015/968786. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4657101/.
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.