Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is a tree growing in Southeast Asia, where it has been used by local people for hundreds of years for medicinal purposes. Although only a few clinical studies are available, these plants are is a well-known alternative medication.
There are several eatable forms of Kratom. That gives you many possibilities to consume it. Here are the most frequent methods of preparation.
What are the different forms of kratom?
Forms of kratom include:
- Fresh leaves
- Dry leaves
What Are Consumable Forms of Kratom?
You can consume Kratom in many different textures.
- Fresh leaves
- Dry Leaves
What Are The Ways Of Using Kratom?
You have three main options to prepare kratom: ingest it directly, process it or mix it with food.
- Direct Ingestion
- Processing it
- Mixing Kratom Into Food
What are the different ways to consume kratom?
Different ways to consume kratom include:
- Direct ingestion
- Chewing the leaves
- Swallowing the powder form
- Kratom capsules
- Mixing it with food
- Dissolving it in liquids
- Adding it to food
- Processing kratom
- Smoking it
- Drinking tea made from the leaves
Direct Ingestion of Kratom
- Chewing Leaves
Inhabitants of Southeast Asia often enjoy Kratom by chewing fresh leaves of the plant. It is the most immediate way of consumption, as it only requires to remove the central vein from the leaf.
A dried leaf has a tougher and rough texture and is, therefore, less practical or enjoyable to chew. For that reason, most people rather crush dry leaves into powder.
- Swallowing Powder
The quickest way to ingest Kratom powder is to swallow it. You scoop the desired amount of powder and put it directly to your mouth. While it is still in your mouth, takes a big sip of water. Now swirl it around inside your mouth, until that the powder mixes up with water. Then swallow the substance. That “toss and wash” method is one of the most popular ones.
- Kratom Capsules
Kratom powder is also available in edible capsules, much like any other supplements. You just need to swallow it and drink some water or any other liquid afterward. You should start feeling the effects after half an hour.
This is convenient for several reasons:
- You don’t have to weight and measure the powder
- You don’t need to prepare it
- You will avoid the bitterish taste of Kratom powder
Mixing Kratom With Food
- Dissolve It In Liquids
The Kratom powder can easily be added to liquids and dissolve. You can add it to water, juice, milk, tea, hot chocolate. An attractive option is to mix either powder or the paste into a smoothie. People often mix it with sweet liquids, to neutralize the naturally bitter taste of the powder.
- Add It To Food
Kratom powder of paste has the perfect consistency to mix with food. You have countless possibilities:
- Spread on bread with honey
- Mixed in with oatmeal, pudding, applesauce or yogurt
- Baked into cookies or cakes
Remember that the powder has a slightly bitter taste, so take into account that you might want to add some spices or flavor modifiers.
If you want to take time or don’t want to consume Kratom directly of with food, you can also process it.
It is possible to smoke dried leaves of the plant, just like nicotine. But that has a significant disadvantage. To obtain a substantial effect, you would have to burn quite a large amount of leaves. That is both less practical and can also irritate your airways.
- Drinking Tea
The widely preferred method of Kratom use is to drink it as a tea. You can do that in various ways:
- Boiling dried leaves and drinking the infusion is very popular among experienced That method brings the strongest sensations, so it is best to try with caution.
- Many people rather crush dried leaves into powder or buy it as such.
- To change the taste, some users mix it with other types of tea, add lemon juice or sweeteners.
- You can produce tea extracts for later use: just evaporate the water from your Kratom tea. You will end up with resin extracts in the form of small pellets. You can store them for later, swallow them directly or dissolve them in hot water.
How To Dosage Kratom?
How do you know how much kratom to do?
How much kratom you should do depends on your individual physiology, body type, lifestyle, and the type of strain or purity of the powder. You can find your correct dosage by starting out with one gram, waiting 20 minutes to see how it affects you, and using your judgment to increase the dosage by increments of one gram.
What is the first thing you need? It is to know the appropriate dosage. Do not rely on what your friends do, because everyone is different and will react differently to each substance. Keep in mind the many factors that can influence your reaction to Kratom:
- Your individual physiology, health issues and metabolism
- You diet and possibly other substances that you use (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, medicine)
- Your body type and lifestyle: people with an active or passive way of spending their days will have their bodies react very differently to any active substance, including Kratom
- The type of Kratom strain and powder: is it a pure substance or a mix of other strains? Have other extracts been added?
- Your personal tolerance
- Your daily hygiene, which mainly involved healthy sleep
Make sure to take these variables into account while testing the right dosage. Be cautious and patient. It is worth spending some days or weeks to learn about your body and the interactions with Kratom.
For most products, the lowest amount is one gram. Start your testing with that dose and augment by one gram or half of it, if you hesitate.
How To Figure Out What Works For You
For those that do not know their optimal dosage, keep reading. Follow these general guidelines to find your sweet and safe spot.
- Take one gram of Kratom. You should begin feeling effects after 20 minutes.
- Wait another 20 minutes to assess how you are feeling.
- If you do not feel anything, take another one gram and wait 20 more minutes.
- Stop for today and note down your reactions and sensations up to 5 hours.
- If you haven’t experienced satisfying results, try again after 12 hours by going up to 3 grams. But again: increase one gram at a time.
Tip for starting users: don’t go over 5 grams.
Tip for regular users: switch to over strains from time to time, to avoid tolerance.
Remember to take into account the before-mentioned factors that can influence your reactions. During your testing phase for your preferred dosage, stick to similar conditions. For example, try always to be similarly rested. Always use it either after eating or on an empty stomach. That part is tricky because you can always have different ingredients in your stomach or different amounts of them. That’s why it’s hard to get a reliable reference point. It is much easier to test first thing in the morning after you fasted the whole night. It is a more stable condition for doing your experiment. After that, use lower doses on a full stomach. That way you will determine an optimal range, whether you have eaten before or not.
Augment your dosages slowly. To beginning user: if you start out with a high dose of ten gram you might feel nauseous and puke. As long as you don’t feel unpleasant feeling, you are fine. But as soon as your head starts to spin or you start feeling nauseous – stop for the day. Don’t try to rush your experiment. Take your time.
You will have to do that test for every strain. Even if all classify as Kratom plants, they can all be very different from each other.