Provigil (Modafinil) Side Effects – The Serious Impact of the Smart Drug
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Provigil is a well-known brand name for the renowned narcolepsy treatment drug, Modafinil. Primarily used to treat sleep disorders, Modafinil isn’t taken without issues. This is sometimes the case due to excess consumption of the drug causing the side effects of Provigil to flourish. This article will look in to and investigate the side effects of Modafinil, as well as differentiating between the short-term and long-term Modafinil side effects. Furthermore, it will help to explain why it is important to get medical help for Provigil effects due to their dangers.
Table of Contents
What are the Side Effects of Provigil?
Modafinil is essentially an anti-sleep drug which is often used to treat disorders such as narcolepsy. However, it is often mistreated with people using it to stay awake at the wheel, to study for longer periods or to feel Modafinil high effect. Due to the drug being so addictive, this may then cause issues as the individual will start to rely on Provigil and experience the side effects of Modafinil.
Provigil side effects affect both the mind and the body, and may consist of:
- Increased concentration
- Cognitive difficulties
- Head rushes
- Increased awareness
- A lack of anxiety
- Shortness of breath
- Headaches and migraines
- Mood Swings
These side effects sometimes present a danger to the user and those around them, affecting both their physical and mental health. For example, shortness of breath leaves the user at risk of stopping breathing completely in a worst-case scenario. While cognitive difficulties could lead to some unforeseen problems.
Short-Term Effects of Modafinil Consumption
Modafinil is a drug designed for short-term use. However, it can still have some short side effects.
Short-term side effects of Provigil include:
- Headaches – Often down to lack of sleep
- Loss of coordination – Lack of sleep again will begin to affect cognition
- Mood swings – This is down to body clock and system being altered
- Increased awareness – This may seem positive however it is difficult to relax afterward
- Depression – Being awake for so long may trigger the onset of mental health issues
According to the US National Library of Medicine, Modafinil may also affect the skin. Modafinil side effects on the skin cause small red patches often known as eruptions, which can be painless but are often itchy and uncomfortable.
Also, Modafinil sexual side effects can be an issue. The drug may cause the sex drive to lower as well as making orgasm and stimulation more challenging. This is both a long-term and short-term side effect.
Long-Term Effects of Provigil Use
Provigil long-term side effects are highly dangerous if not dealt with correctly. The long-term effects of taking Provigil can be both physically and psychologically harmful to the user. In addition to that, they can also create a tolerance to Provigil, as well as an addiction, which can run the risk of overdose occurring.
Other dangers of Modafinil long-term effects may include:
- Chronic headaches – Headaches are a symptom of Modafinil use regardless. However, with long-term use, they may be constant and stronger.
- Insomnia – One may not be able to sleep at all or in any cohesive pattern
- Depression – Moods may drop considerably
- Anxiety – Provigil can put a person on edge due to being awake for so long
- Neurological imbalance – Long-term use of the drug can cause permanent chemical imbalances in the brain. This is one of the more dangerous side effects.
- Loss of coordination – Again due to the chemical imbalance, coordination may become a challenge
- Mood Swings – Lack of sleep and constant alertness may leave the person in an uncomfortable, fluctuating mood
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.