Because it is a depressant and a hallucinogen, GHB will:
- Slow the body down
- Induce hallucinations
- Make users feel euphoric, relaxed and confident
Dangers of taking GHB
As a club drug, people commonly mix GHB with alcohol to amplify its effects. That can result in nausea and drowsiness. But in higher doses, it can also induce amnesia and unconsciousness. That is why GHB has the unfortunate reputation of as a date-rape drug.
Another danger lies in the fact that GHB is undetectable, and people often don’t know the amount consumed. Accidental overdoses can occur surprisingly and can:
- paralyze the respiratory system
- cause seizures and heart failure
- even lead to coma or death
GHB is quickly burned up in the body, so it is often undetected during medical inspections.
Can I Get Help For GHB Addiction?
Not only is there help available for you, but it is also vital for you not to try quitting alone! Why Shouldn’t You Do It Alone?
Reason 1: it is difficult
Many people try to quit using the drugs on their own, but this often turns out for difficult than expected. The cravings and withdrawal symptoms are so intense that it is often easier to get another dose than to wait several days for the unpleasant symptoms to fade.
The clubbing lifestyle with considerate peer pressure makes it even harder to resist the drug.
Reason 2: It is dangerous
If you are severely addicted, stopping the drug suddenly will be too big of a shock to your body. While adjusting to withdrawal, you could experience:
- Bone and muscle pain and tremors
- Nausea and vomiting
- Increased blood pressure, heart rate, and sweating
- Insomnia and panic attacks
- Psychosis and hallucinations
- Agitation and violent behavior
These changes can be life-threatening, so it is best to go through withdrawal in a professional setting with medical care. Each person and case of GHB addiction are different, so it is important to find the right rehabilitation program. Rehab can be life-saving!
What to expect during GHB addiction treatment?
At first, you will pass an assessment interview. The facility staff needs to know exactly how long and how much you have taken the drug to determine treatment options. A physician will investigate your physical and mental health condition. If you suffer from co-occurring conditions, you will need specialized care.
If you arrive under the influence of GHB, detox will take place before the interview. You will have troubles sleeping and anxiety attacks during the first days. In severe addiction cases, people can become violent and unpredictable up until two weeks of withdrawal. They can suffer from hallucinations and psychotic events. GHB users do not control their actions and can be a danger to themselves and their environment. Therefore it is vital to monitor a GHB detox carefully in a medical facility. The medical staff is there to make sure you are safe and your symptoms bearable.
Once you are clean, you can start your rehabilitation.
Rehab is the main stage of your recovery. It is not only the time to deal with your cravings, but to learn how to return to a drug-free life.
You will spend a lot of time in therapy.
- Individual counselors often use the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The goal is to discover the root causes of your The idea is to find new, constructive ways to deal with your emotions.
- In group therapy, you will meet other people in the same situation as you. You will realize that you are not alone. People at advanced rehab stages are an inspiration and proof that you can change your life if you want to.
- Some outpatient programs offer multidimensional family therapy for young people going through a life-changing period. Helping the family to build a supportive foundation for change is not only beneficial for the addict. It is an opportunity to improve the relationships in the family.
The rehab program prepares to recover addicts gradually to reenter the outside world.
- Many programs include some form of relaxation. These can be yoga, meditation or mindfulness classes. Access to soothing nature is standard.
- Some facilities offer activities of animal care. That promotes real-life abilities like responsibility, consistency, and discipline in a pleasant way.
- Ultimately, patients can be taken outside the rehab facility to practice social interactions. It can start with going for short walks among people or having a meal in a restaurant.
- They are encouraged to bond with their family or close friends. The only condition is to surround themselves with supportive people not associated with drugs.
Once you finish the program and leave the rehab facility, you will be asked to join an aftercare program.
Here is what you can expect in aftercare:
- You will continue learning how to deal with cravings and temptations in individual therapy. The counselor will also work with you on an attitude that helps you to build a sober and happy life.
- You will benefit from support groups that will accompany on your journey to sobriety as long as you need.
- Sometimes motivational incentives are applied by therapists. It is a method that rewards the patient for staying clean, providing incentives to recover.
- Many patients that go straight out of rehab are afraid to return to their regular life without relapsing. Sober living environments are facilities where like-minded ex-addicts surround you. It is an optimal solution half-way to returning to normal life.
What If I Relapse?
Recovering addicts need a long time to adapt to their new life fully. It demands willpower and dedication. Sometimes people feel overwhelmed, or they lack a support network. It can happen that they relapse. Others may want to test if they are still addicted. If you relapse, don’t feel bad: statistics show that this happens to 50% of recovering addicts. You can talk this through and with your therapist and find strategies for avoiding other relapses. That is a time when support groups are particularly useful. People will understand you and encourage you to keep working on a sober life.
Treatment Centers for GHB Addiction
Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment
There is a multitude of rehab programs, and you will surely find one that finds you best. The next step is to decide what kind of treatment facility to choose. You have the option between inpatient and outpatient centers.
Outpatient facilities do not require patients to live on-site. You attend daily or weekly therapy sessions and benefit from regular medical checkups. These services require far less time investment than inpatient programs. Many outpatient programs permit patients to go on with their personal and professional lives. That is optimal for people with mild addictions and those who can function relatively normally.You live in a clinical setting or a specialized residence for a couple of weeks, or, more often, months. The medical staff is present on site and ready to intervene any time. The greatest benefit of this kind of place is that you can fully focus on your recovery without any distraction from the outside world.
Executive or Luxury Rehabilitation Centers
If the reason you consider an outpatient program is because of your professional responsibilities, you have an even better option. Executive rehab facilities might be what you need. In this setting, you will have the possibility to access the internet and make phone calls to keep in touch with your work.
If you are looking for top quality and comfort, you can choose one of the many luxury rehab centers. Your rehabilitation will be going on in peaceful, natural surroundings. You will have exquisite meals and sleep in elegant linens. Gym amenities and massage therapy will be available to you on-site.
Cost of GHB Addiction Treatment
Cost of GHB Rehab
GHB treatment can be quite costly, especially if you don’t have an insurance plan that will cover it. It all depends on your needs and choices; the cost of each program varies widely.
- Aftercare with group counseling (such as Addicts Anonymous) is free to attend.
- If your addiction is mild, you could from the most affordable outpatient service, paying around $1000 per month. Even here, you first need to get through the detox phase in a medical facility. It typically lasts two weeks for GHB, so that adds up to your costs.
- If you are severely addicted, you should be ready to paying the price for inpatient programs.
- Luxury rehab center can even cost $30,000 per month.
Cost of Not Treating GHB Addiction
Costing $5-25 per dose, GHB seems very cheap, compared to other drugs. Not so much for severely addicted people. Because withdrawal symptoms kick around 4-6 hours after consumption, users can consumer even six doses per day. For them, every addiction day costs $30-150. At best, this costs the addict $1000 per month.
In general, rehab facilities propose various possibilities to cover their services. That way the patients in need can get the treatment as soon as possible.
- Your medical insurance or supplemental health insurance can pay for the addiction treatment. If you’re younger than 26 years, you can also use your parents’ insurance. Make sure to ask about their policy: they may cover a part or the entire cost of the program/
- Most facilities accept credit cards.
- Many rehab clinics offer long-term payment plans to make the treatments immediately available to anyone in need.
How to Choose the Right GHB Rehab Program?
Treatment programs for GHB are often part of broader rehab plans for hallucinogens and depressants. Take some time to examine different treatment facilities and to choose the most appropriate program for you.
Do I Need an Inpatient GBH Rehab Facility?
If your drug abuse clearly impacted the quality of your life and your social relationship, this is a sign that you probably need a stay in an inpatient facility. Many people find a change of environment of such a stay helpful. They can fully focus on their recovery without getting distracted by everyday life.
How Long Will Rehab Last?
The length of your program will be determined based on your drug abuse history and physical and mental health needs.
Moderate addictions can be handled in 1-3 months. Most facilities offer 30, 60 or 90-day treatments.
Some centers specialize in severe addictions, where people can stay in inpatient rehab for up to 6 months. Long-term programs are beneficial for tackling complicated cases, like multi-drug use or additional mental health issues.
In any case, you will be required to attend therapy and support group meetings for at as long as you need.
What about Confidentiality?
Distant location. Some people are concerned about their privacy when attending a program in their hometown. They can choose a treatment location in a different state or city.
Private GHB rehabs. If you’re further concerned about your privacy, ask about confidentiality policies in your considered facilities. Private rehabs usually guarantee your privacy and will release your records only with your consent.
Get Help Today
Addiction Treatment Help
Speak Privately With a Rehab Specialist
We can help you to:
- Find the best rehab center or treatment program in your area
- Verify if your insurance can cover the costs of treatment
Receive free information today.