Shrooms High: How Long Does a Shrooms Trip Last?
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Table of Contents
Factors That May Influence On Shrooms High Effects
It is found that shrooms trip can last anywhere from three to six hours. Many different factors can affect the severity and length of a person’s trip on shrooms such as:
The species of mushroom
Some species of mushrooms contain a higher concentration of psilocybin than others.
Due to the differences in psilocybin content between particular types of mushrooms, 4 grams of one type of mushroom may have the same effect on a person as 0.5 grams of another kind.
The age or drying process used (if applicable)
Some of the methods used to dry and store hallucinogenic mushrooms preserve psilocybin better than others. For example, using a dehydrator or another kind of moisture-removal product can help the mushrooms to retain more of their potency than if they were simply fan-dried.
How the shrooms enter the body
Shrooms can be eaten by themselves, whole; sprinkled onto or mixed in with food; or crushed into a powder to be placed inside of a capsule, made into a tablet or other solution.
How Long Does it Take to Start Feeling the Effects of a Shrooms High?
For most, the drug’s effects will become apparent within 20-40 minutes of ingestion. However, Depending on variables such as the kind of mushrooms and how they were ingested, psilocybin mushrooms can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours to take effect.
Duration Of A Shrooms Trip
On average, a single dose of shrooms will produce a trip that lasts somewhere between 3 and 6 hours. Of course, a trip can vary depending on a number of factors.
A person will not automatically trip if he or she does shrooms.
If the user ingests only a small dose of shrooms, they may simply experience a sense of relaxation, feelings of euphoria, and some noticeable changes in the way that person perceives colors or sounds.
In cases where the person has ingested far more than the recommended dose for that species of mushroom, his or her trip may last longer.
Shrooms Recreational Effects
As stated above, doing shrooms does not always guarantee that someone will trip. Even if a person doesn’t trip, he or she may experience some of the following effects:
- Clammy skin
- Visual enhancements
- Colors appear to be brighter or seem to “glow”
- Surfaces may have an unusual richness of texture
- Surroundings seem more detailed in general
- Changes in short-term memory, i.e. continually distracted thought patterns
- Changes in how sound is perceived, i.e. music sounds distorted in a way
- Increase in creativit
- A kind of “stoning” effect, i.e. euphoria and relaxation
- Uncontrollable giggling
If someone ingests a little more, the user will experience the previously mentioned effects before he or she starts to trip. Those who do end up tripping on shrooms may experience additional effects such as:
- Time dilation
- Visual distortions
- Objects appear warped or curved
“Hallucinations”— not so much seeing things that aren’t there, but perceiving things that are present to be entirely different from what they normally are/look like— such as:
- Surfaces of objects seeming to swirl or “flow” like water
- Patterns may be visible on otherwise uniform surfaces, e.g. kaleidoscope-like images seen on walls or countertops
- Objects morphing into other objects
- Synesthesia, i.e. seeing sounds and hearing colors
- Loss of reality ranging from mild to severe
- Out-of-body experiences
- Splitting of the ego, e.g. inanimate objects start conversing with the person, or that person starts feeling contradicting intense emotions simultaneously
- Total loss of reality where senses cease to function in usual ways; person feels as if the self is with nature or the world, or the universe
While some trips can be enlightening experiences, a bad trip can cause feelings of fear, panic, anxiety, and other intense, negative emotions.
- Theresa M Carbonaro, Matthew P Bradstreet, Frederick S Barrett, Katherine A MacLean, Robert Jesse, Matthew W Johnson, Roland R Griffiths. Survey study of challenging experiences after ingesting psilocybin mushrooms: Acute and enduring positive and negative consequences. J Psychopharmacol. 2016. 1268–1278. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5551678/
- Thomas Pokorny, Katrin H Preller, Michael Kometer, Isabel Dziobek, Franz X Vollenweider. Effect of Psilocybin on Empathy and Moral Decision-Making. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017. 747–757. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5581487/
- R. R. Griffiths, M.W. Johnson, W. A. Richards, B.D. Richards, U. McCann, R. Jesse. Psilocybin occasioned mystical-type experiences: Immediate and persisting dose-related effects. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011. 649–665. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3308357/
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.