The simplest explanation of dabs includes various forms of quality hash, which go through a unique preparation process involving butane gas. Dabbing refers to a method of marijuana consumption where highly concentrated cannabis is heated. It leads to vaporization of oil which users then inhale to get a “high.” Dab is not a chemically modified plant; the only difference between typical marijuana and Dab is the concentration of THC.
THC is a chemical which induces the majority of marijuana-related effects. While an average cannabis joint contains about 15% of THC, the THC amount during Dabbing reaches 70-95% per dab, according to marijuana statistics. Such a high amount of this hallucinogenic substance causes immediate and overwhelming effects.
How Dabbing Affects Your Body
Marijuana dabbing has become very popular in recent years. Some of its effects are not entirely understood, and doctors have just begun to compare the effects of typical marijuana to marijuana dabbing. The only fact most experts agree on is that marijuana by definition has adverse effects on a developing brain. This data is especially alarming since marijuana is widely spread among teenagers and young adults.
How to Tell That Someone is Dabbing
“Dabbing is to marijuana, as crack is to cocaine.” This sentence is used for explaining the dangers of dabbing and the importance of intervention as soon as you suspect someone you love has a problem. Unfortunately, users have developed some new ways of dabbing, like vape pens, which make it hard to see or smell. Pay attention and try to spot the following:
- If you find unfamiliar e-cigarettes among your beloved one’s stuff, be aware of the possibility they are using it for vaporizing marijuana. These e-cigarettes may be altered vape pens primarily meant for tobacco, so it is hard to detect marijuana use.
- Glass water pipe or marijuana blunt.
- Hollow metal rod called a “nail” (the nail is heated, and the dab is placed on the hot surface)
- Changes in behavior consistent with typical marijuana users, but intensified throughout the whole day (disorientation, sleepiness, unusual talkativeness, bloodshot eyes).
- Increased use of perfumes or cologne to hide the marijuana smell.
- Increased use of chewing gums, breath mints, and eye drops.
- Increased interest in cannabis and different names for marijuana, talking about it and collecting stoner movies (with marijuana smoking characters).
- Marijuana inspired clothing.
Signs and Symptoms of Marijuana Dabbing Use
Someone who practices marijuana dabbing may show the following signs and symptoms:
- Poor decision making
- Red, bloodshot eyes
- Lack of coordination
- Bad mood
- Sleeping problems
- Increased heart rate
- Failing to complete daily responsibilities
- Social withdrawal
Long-Term Effects of Marijuana Dabbing Use?
Marijuana dabbing can have grave consequences on one’s body and mind. Some of the long-term dabbing marijuana side effects include:
- Depression and isolation
- Permanent paranoia and anxiety
- Cardiac problems – irregular heartbeat
- Brain damage which and decreased intellectual properties
Although the connection between marijuana and cancer is still to be researched, it is clear that dabs contain larger amount of carcinogens and toxins than the regular joint.
Dangers Associated with Marijuana Dabbing
- Marijuana extracts may be precarious to make since highly flammable butane gas is used during the preparation process. (Home chemistry is dangerous!) Numerous cases reported that entire houses have blown up, or someone got hurt.
- Marijuana dabbing may lead to cases of overdose which include nausea, vomiting, and blackouts.
- Marijuana dabbing can cause tolerance and develop an addiction.
- Marijuana dabbing withdrawal symptoms are very severe.
Emergency rooms have seen a great increase in marijuana dabbing related problems. This type of marijuana use has become a dire predicament.
If you know or suspect someone you know is using marijuana, be sure to stage an intervention for drug addiction treatment and help him/her face the problem and the possible adverse outcomes. Choose the rehab for substance abuse to prevent the dire consequences of dabbing.