Iboga root, and its derivative ibogaine, is illegal in the United States, including possessing, selling, and purchasing it in any form. Buying iboga is not only illegal but dangerous if a person obtains it from an unreliable source. Therefore, it is essential to be aware of the risks associated with trying to obtain the substance online. People interested in getting iboga should not attempt to acquire it at all if they are US residents.
How to Get Ibogaine in the US?
Many people may want to know how to get ibogaine in the US. The main reason why they may want to find ibogaine for sale is due to its use as an alternative treatment for drug addiction. Many studies have aimed to assess the efficacy of iboga in treating drug addiction, with most suggesting that it may be effective, though its safety is in question.
Is Iboga Legal in the US?
To those who ask is iboga legal in the US, the drug cannot be legally purchased within the country by any means. Any routes by which addicts can obtain it, including buying ibogaine online, are bound to have legal consequences. Most users who wish to buy it will find it impossible within the United States.
The only option by which a US citizen can get ibogaine for sale would be to travel to a country where the substance is legal and use it in a treatment center there or at home. However, if one decides on buying iboga overseas, it is still illegal to bring it back to the US.
Why Is Iboga Illegal?
According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, the scheduling of a drug depends primarily on its abuse rate and the potential to cause psychological or physical dependence. Substances and chemicals with no accepted medical use and psychoactive properties are likely to be classified as Schedule I drugs. Therefore, it is illegal due to the psychedelic effects that it produces, the lack of solid evidence backing its benefits, and concerns about the safety of the substance.
The question of whether iboga is legal and whether it should be is a widely debated one. Some argue that the substance should remain prohibited due to its severe and dangerous side effects in addition to its psychoactive properties. On the other hand, others point out that ibogaine legality could greatly facilitate the research into potentially beneficial medical uses.
There have been several reported cases of this drug causing severe complications, particularly of the cardiovascular type. One article reported on three cases of the drug causing life-threatening complications. Another case had a person die soon after consumption of ibogaine when treating heroin addiction. The first case of ibogaine toxicity in the United Kingdom was well-documented.
On the other hand, a few studies have shown some benefit to its use in treating patients with drug dependence. Some resources link the dangers of using iboga to unregulated centers using it for detoxification. A 2017 study followed up patients after a single treatment session with ibogaine for twelve months. It demonstrated a decrease in withdrawal symptoms with an outcome of complete cessation of opioid use or reduced use.
Can One Buy Ibogaine Online?
Buying ibogaine online is the option that some people resort to when they can’t travel to a different country and can’t figure out how to get ibogaine in the US through any other means. It is linked to several issues that need to be considered before a person chooses to find ibogaine for sale online:
- First of all, there is no way of knowing whether the product that has been ordered is truly ibogaine. This way, the individual is at high risk of wasting their money on scam products.
- Secondly, the impossibility to test the quality of the drug significantly increases the risks associated with its use.
- Finally, the products will have to go through customs, endangering the person’s future if the substance is discovered.
Legal Risks of Ibogaine in the US
According to the Drug Enforcement Agency, ibogaine is a Schedule I controlled substance. The United States Federal Drug Laws have the civil penalty of possession of any controlled substance to be a fine of up to $10,000. Those who are criminally convicted of possession of a controlled substance may face up to a year in prison, a minimum fine of $1,000, or both. These penalties increase with each subsequent conviction.
Where Is Iboga Legal?
For many patients, the absence of ibogaine treatment centers within the USA comes as a great disappointment. If a person wishes to try the treatment, there are many contact options in countries where iboga is approved for medical use, and people are free to use the substance.
Ibogaine treatment in Mexico is readily available due to the status of the substance. Iboga in Mexico is unregulated and legal. Many clinics offer such treatment there, and interested people can contact any of them.
Treatment in Canada is also available, but despite the fact it’s not forbidden, the legal status remains unclear. Still, there are several treatment centers there using it.
Treatment centers in Costa Rica are among the most famous.
Consequently, for those who have the resources to go abroad, the best option is not only to buy the drug there but experience the iboga ceremony as well.
Countries Where the Substance Is Legal or Unregulated Include:
- Costa Rica
- The Netherlands
- New Zealand
Purchasing iboga during a visit to one of these countries can help ensure the authenticity and quality of the substance. Besides, receiving treatment at an iboga clinic and letting the professionals handle the process will result in a more beneficial outcome than self-medicating. It’s much safer than buying ibogaine online and using it at home, and patients are more likely to approach the treatment with the right mindset through guidance.
However, it is still illegal to bring iboga to the US. That is why the entire treatment period should pass within the country’s borders where it is legal to use.
Why One Shouldn’t Buy The Drug Online
A person who wants to buy iboga from the United States will face various problems due to the substance’s legal status. The best option for them is to go to a country where it is legal, accessible, available to purchase, or unregulated. It’s crucial to remember that self-medicating with a drug that has been obtained through an unreliable distributor is highly dangerous.
Hope Without Commitment
Find the best treatment options. Call our free and confidential helpline
Most private insurances acceptedMarketing fee may apply
- Paling, F. P., Andrews, L. M., Valk, G. D., & Blom, H. J. (2012). Life-threatening complications of ibogaine: three case reports. The Netherlands journal of medicine, 70(9), 422–424. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23123541/
- Schenberg, E. E., de Castro Comis, M. A., Chaves, B. R., & da Silveira, D. X. (2014). Treating drug dependence with the aid of ibogaine: a retrospective study. Journal of psychopharmacology (Oxford, England), 28(11), 993–1000. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25271214/
- Summary of Federal and State Drug Laws, https://spu.edu/~/media/university-leadership/student-life/Summary%20of%20Federal%20and%20State%20Drug%20Laws%20as%20of%205-6-16.ashx
- Aćimović, T., Atanasijević, T., Denić, K., Lukić, V., Popović, V., & Bogdanović, M. (2021). Death due to consumption of ibogaine: case report. Forensic science, medicine, and pathology, 17(1), 126–129. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33433774/
- Asua I. (2013). Growing menace of ibogaine toxicity. British journal of anaesthesia, 111(6), 1029–1030. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24233315/
- Corkery J. M. (2018). Ibogaine as a treatment for substance misuse: Potential benefits and practical dangers. Progress in brain research, 242, 217–257. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30471681/
- Noller, G. E., Frampton, C. M., & Yazar-Klosinski, B. (2018). Ibogaine treatment outcomes for opioid dependence from a twelve-month follow-up observational study. The American journal of drug and alcohol abuse, 44(1), 37–46. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28402682/