Wellbutrin Hair Loss: Causes, Treatment and Prevention
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Wellbutrin is the popular brand name for bupropion, a drug used to treat depression. It belongs to the SNRI class of antidepressants, which moderates the level and activity of the dopamine, neurotransmitters, and norepinephrine. Except for its ability to treat the symptoms of MDD, Wellbutrin and ADHD treatment are also closely related to each other. While it is a commonly used medication, several individuals have indicated Wellbutrin hair loss as an adverse reaction during the treatment process. So, does Wellbutrin cause hair loss? What are the treatment options, and how bupropion hair loss can be prevented?
Table of Contents
Does Bupropion Cause Telogen Effluvium?
According to a 2018 US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health study, bupropion comes with the highest risk of loss of hair known as Telogen Effluvium. It is usually caused due to a sudden change in hormone levels. The hormone fluctuation causes hair follicles to go into a resting state, which leads to hair loss. People, mostly women, usually experience widespread thinning and loss of more and more hair every day. This condition often comes up when an individual is dealing with stress or is adjusting to a new antidepressant.
Bupropion is also a Central Nervous Compound, which can make Telogen Effluvium even more intensive if Wellbutrin and alcohol are taken together.
What Should Patients Do If Wellbutrin Hair Loss Happens To Them?
Among Wellbutrin side effects, hair loss can happen to any individual who is dealing with stress, depression; and is consuming Wellbutrin, as a medication. If one suggests that Wellbutrin hair loss happens to them, the first thing to do is to consult with a physician to find out that bupropion hydrochloride is the cause of this problem. Sometimes Telogen Effluvium can be a result of Wellbutrin combinations with other medicines, or the reason can even be completely different.
If bupropion hair loss happens to one, here are some of the everyday things that an individual can take care of:
- Address all the nutritional deficiencies: ensure that the diet of a patient includes eggs, nuts, beans, fish, grains, and meat.
- Deficiency of iron also be the reason. So, the individual can make changes to diet and start to take iron-based foods.
- Try to decrease the daily stress level. Go for counseling support for stress and depression management.
- Consult a physician and get therapy or medical solution to stop Telogen Effluvium.
- Avoid heat styling treatments to prevent further loss.
- Massage scalp with essential oils.
- Wash scalp with a mild shampoo and avoid brushing straight after the shower.
- Keep the scalp free from sweat.
- Consider going for hair replacement therapy.
As patients experience the first sign of Wellbutrin hair loss, they should report it to a healthcare provider. Health professional may consider changing the dose back to Wellbutrin 150 mg or completely change the patient’s medicine and schedule.
In What Time Does It Grow Back?
According to the 2015 Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, it will grow back in 3-6 months on the removal of trigger, in the case of Wellbutrin hair loss. For professional advice on Wellbutrin hair growth, consult a trichologist.
How Wellbutrin Hair Loss Can Be Prevented or Disguised?
An individual can prevent bupropion hair loss by decreasing the regular administration of Wellbutrin or lowering the dose. Once done, check if Telogen Effluvium stops or not. Some others of ways preventing Telogen Effluvium include:
- Schedule visits to the physician.
- Take a healthy diet, which is loaded with proteins, vitamins, and other nutrients.
- Check the amount of hair left on brush regularly.
- The patient can also try to switch from Wellbutrin to it’s alternatives, but only after permission of health professional.
While Wellbutrin hair loss is preventable, some individuals also worried that does Wellbutrin cause weight gain or not? According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, weight loss of 5lbs occurred in patients who were receiving Wellbutrin.
If someone is dealing with Wellbutrin xl hair loss issues, here is how they can disguise it. The patient can start with using volume-based shampoos and follow the below-mentioned tips:
- Visit the hairdresser and get a good haircut such as front bangs or pixie cut, but with some strategic layers. Short haircut and layers will create more volume, and they are not weighed down by long strands.
- Leverage a wide headband as it will help the patient disguise the damaged area.
- The individual can go for a blowout.
- Use shake on powders to fill in the visible patches of scalp.
- Wigs, extensions, and toppers also serve as possible alternatives.
While an individual wait for new hairs and strands to grow back, the new hairstyle will help the patient feel better and reduce the stress level, despite Wellbutrin hair loss haven’t stopped. Patients should keep in mind that this side effect is temporary and can be reversed in half a year, as maximum.
- WELLBUTRIN® (bupropion hydrochloride) Tablets, Prescribing Information, https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/018644s043lbl.pdf
- Shashikant Malkud, Telogen Effluvium: A Review, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4606321/pdf/jcdr-9-WE01.pdf
- Etminan M, Sodhi M, Procyshyn RM, Guo M, Carleton BC, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28763345
- What is Wellbutrin Addiction
- Wellbutrin Side Effects
- Bupropion Dosage
- How Long Wellbutrin Stays In System
- Wellbutrin High
- Bupropion Withdrawal
- Wellbutrin Price
- Bupropion Overdose
- Wellbutrin Mechanism of Action
- Wellbutrin Interactions
- Wellbutrin Uses
- Wellbutrin Drug Class
- Wellbutrin and Alcohol
- Wellbutrin and Weight
- Wellbutrin and Sex Drive
- Snorting Wellbutrint
- Wellbutrin Hair Loss
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.