Strattera Dosage: Doses For Adults And Children
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Strattera dosage varies depending on the indication. Also, because of medication effects, there is Strattera dosing by weight, as well as for different age groups, including children, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics. In each case, Strattera dosing is precisely calculated by the doctor, according to each patient’s needs and characteristics. However, there are general dosing recommendations patients need to be aware of.
Learn About Strattera Dosage:
- What Are Strattera Doses Available?
- What Is Strattera Dosing By Weight?
- What Is Dosing For ADHD Initial Treatment?
- What Is Dosing For ADHD Extended Treatment?
- What Is Dosing In Specific Populations?
- How And When Should One Take Strattera?
- How Should One Act In Case Of Strattera Missed Dose?
- What Is LD50 Dose?
- How Can One Overdose On Strattera?
Strattera Doses Available & Their Characteristics
|Capsule strength||Color||Imprinted with|
|10mg||opaque white||“Lilly 3227” and “10 mg” in black ink|
|18 mg||gold (cap) and opaque white (body)||“Lilly 3238” and “18 mg” in black ink|
|25 mg||opaque blue (cap) and opaque white (body)||Lilly 3228” and “25 mg” in black ink|
|40 mg||opaque blue||“Lilly 3229” and “40 mg” in black ink|
|60 mg||opaque blue (cap) and gold (body)||“Lilly 3239” and “60 mg” in black ink|
|80 mg||opaque brown (cap) and opaque white (body)||“Lilly 3250” and “80 mg” in black ink|
|100 mg||opaque brown||“Lilly 3251” and “100 mg” in black ink|
The Strattera price varies depending on the dosage.
Strattera Dosing Chart
|Populations||Starting Dose||Titration Dose||Maximum Dose|
|Children and adolescents 6-17 up to 70 kg||0.5 mg/kg||1.2 mg/kg||1.4 mg/kg|
|Children and adolescents 6-17 over 70 kg||40 mg||80 mg||100 mg|
|Adults||40 mg||80 mg||100 mg|
Dosing For ADHD Initial Treatment
Children And Teens Up To 70 Kg
For this category, the initial daily dose should not surpass 0.5 mg/kg. The dosage will be increased, if needed, after a minimum of three days to a target dosage of 1.2 mg/kg daily, administered either as a single dose or twice a day in divided doses in the morning and afternoon. Strattera maximum dose per day should not surpass 1.4 mg/kg or 100 mg.
Children And Teenagers Over 70 Kg
The initial Strattera dose for this category is 40 mg a day. If needed, it can be increased after a minimum of three days. The daily target dose would be 80 mg administered once or twice a day. The maximum dose of Strattera to be taken daily can be prescribed to patients after two to four weeks of no results with the current dosage and should not be more than 100 mg daily.
Strattera Dosage For Adults
The Strattera starting dose for adults should be 40 mg a day. It can be increased after at least three days to a target dose of 80 mg and after another 2-4 weeks to a maximum of 100 mg daily.
Dosing For ADHD Extended Treatment
Because this drug has a gradual onset of action, there is a need for slow titration to achieve the effective Strattera dosage. A rapid increase in dosage can be associated with atomoxetine side effects such as irritability, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting, upset stomach, trouble sleeping, skin rash, dry mouth, or cough.
Dosing In Specific Populations
Strattera dosages for patients with hepatic insufficiency should be adjusted accordingly:
- For patients with moderate hepatic insufficiency, the start and target dosage should be decreased by 50% the usual dose for the same weight category.
- For patients with severe hepatic insufficiency, the start and target dosage should be decreased to 25% of the normal one.
Strattera doses for patients with kidney failure:
- Mild hepatic impairment: Strattera dosage adjustment is not necessary.
- Moderate hepatic impairment: the dose should be reduced by 50% of a normal one.
- Severe hepatic impairment: the dose should be reduced by 75% of a normal one.
Patients On Strong CYP2D6 Inhibitors (Or With CYP2D6 PMs)
For patients up to 70 kg who are on strong CYP2D6 inhibitors, the initial Strattera dosage should be 0.5 mg/kg daily and increased to a maximum of 1.2 mg/kg after four weeks if the starting dose is well tolerated and if ADHD symptoms do not improve.
In patients over 70 kg, the initial dosage should be 40 mg and increased to a dose of 80 mg after four weeks.
How And When To Take Strattera
The Best Time To Take Strattera
Atomoxetine can be taken once or twice a day, so there is no danger in taking Strattera in the morning or night (early evening). If a patient is sleepy during the day or has problems with insomnia, the best would be taking Strattera at night. However, it is always recommended to consult with the treating physician about when to take atomoxetine.
How To Take Strattera
According to the general instructions on uses for Strattera, the capsules should be taken as follows:
- Strattera capsules should be swallowed whole.
- The capsules should not be opened, crushed, or chewed.
- It can be taken one time per day in the morning or twice a day in the morning and late afternoon.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- It can be discontinued without being tapered.
- Any of Strattera dosage forms should not be increased without the doctor’s approval, and atomoxetine should not be taken more often than directed.
Strattera Missed Dose
A missed dose of Strattera should be taken as soon as the patient remembers. The exception makes the situation when there is almost time for the next dose. In this case, skip the missed capsule and take the next dose at the usual time. Patients need to avoid taking more than the prescribed dosage in a day, as this could lead to overdose. If the patient is not sure what to do, they should ask their doctor or pharmacist.
A lethal atomoxetine dosage in animals is about 0.190 mg/kg for rats and mice, 25 mg/kg for cats, and >37.5 mg/kg for dogs. In humans, there have been no investigated LD50 of atomoxetine. However, even in an intentional overdose of 1400 mg, there have been not reported any deaths caused by Straterra alone.
Can One Overdose On Strattera?
When the patient takes more than the recommended dosage, a Strattera overdose might occur. The risk of overdose is higher in a patient who takes atomoxetine with central nervous system depressants, benzodiazepines, or alcohol. Immediate medical attention is needed if an overdose occurs.
No deaths caused by atomoxetine overdose alone have been reported. The most common symptoms of overdose are:
- abnormal behavior
The situation is different when comparing atomoxetine vs Adderall, another drug for ADHD. An Adderall overdose with the lethal outcome is reported. In the case of Strattera overdose, call 911 immediately.
Caution Is Needed With Strattera
Misusing the drug and not respecting the atomoxetine dosage can lead to tolerance and even substance use disorder. This signals that a person is struggling with abuse, which forces to seek Strattera recreational use. Recreational intake of a drug is illegal and dangerous for one’s health. Moreover, it may result in addiction. In this case, a person should consider addiction treatment. There are numerous addiction centers and drug rehabs that can offer professional help and techniques to help patients get through their addiction successfully.
- STRATTERA®(atomoxetine HCl). Eli Lilly and Company. 2007. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2007/021411s004s012s013s015s021lbl.pdf.
- Wietecha LA, Clemow DB, Buchanan AS, Young JL, Sarkis EH, Findling RL. Atomoxetine Increased Effect over Time in Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Treated for up to 6 Months: Pooled Analysis of Two Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Trials. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics. 2016; 22(7): 546–557. doi:10.1111/cns.12533. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5069588/.
- ATOMOXETINE. Toxicology Data Network. 2016. https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@[email protected]+7352.
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.