Klonopin is often prescribed for anxiety and seizures. However, the drug can potentially have negative side effects. The side effects of Clonazepam may affect an individual both physically and psychologically. Furthermore, Clonazepam effects can both short term and long term. This article aims to help to identify Klonopin side effects and how to get the best medical assistance to deal with them.
Table of Contents
What are the Side Effects of Clonazepam?
Klonopin addiction often stems from initial treatment for anxiety using the drug. Due to Klonopin not having a set dosage, it is possible to abuse by those consuming it easily. Although a doctor may recommend a certain amount of the drug, many users will go over that amount and develop an addiction. This can cause the side effects of the drug to be enhanced.
According to The US National Library Of Medicine, typically, Clonazepam side effects affect both brain and body. Clonazepam side effects include depression, relapse anxiety, and nausea. Identifying the psychological side effects of Klonopin is often a challenge, which is why it is important to keep a constant lookout for thought issues, memory issues, and depression.
Short-Term Effects of Klonopin Consumption
Contrary to many peoples beliefs, Klonopin can be as dangerous with excessive short-term use, as it may be with excessive short-term use. The side effects of short-term Klonopin use cause both physical and psychological harm to the user and place a strain on relationships.
Klonopin can have an array of short-term side effects including:
- Extreme Numbness – The drug may reduce the ability to fell physical pain
- Cognitive Impairment – Users often don’t think as logically or as quickly as they usually would. Balance and day to day activities may also be affected
- Dizziness – The drug can cause individuals to feel wobbly on their feet as well as disoriented
- Memory Loss And Inability To Recall Recent Events – Klonopins effects cause the user to forget recent events or memories, which can strain relationships.
- Confusion – Often linked to memory loss, users may be confused about their whereabouts, state and more.
- Fainting – Short-term Klonopin abuse can cause fainting or even blackouts.
- Slow Reactions – This is again, due to central nervous system depression. Reactions times can slow and drop a dramatic amount.
- Inability To Judge Situations – Often due to cognitive impairment, users cannot judge situations as well
- No Sex Drive – Central nervous system depression can also cause a lack of interest in sex
Another of the short-term side effects of Clonazepam is depression. Many of those who take Clonazepam in higher doses, experience depression and thoughts of suicide. This is also common in those who take clonazepam for sleep as they have to take larger doses to quell their anxieties.
Long-Term Effects of Clonazepam Use
Abusing Klonopin in the long term can further enhance the negative effects of Klonopin short-term abuse. It is sometimes the trigger for new symptoms to emerge and continue to cause health deterioration. Klonopin medication side effects mean it is rarely prescribed in the long-term as it can be very addictive. However, some users choose to find a way to abuse the drug in the long term by doctor shopping.
The effects of Klonopin long-term abuse consist of:
- Addiction – Long-term abuse of the drug can lead to a reliance on it
- Tolerance – Those who use Klonopin for long enough, often build up the tolerance to the drug. This then means they have to take more to get the same effects and have a higher chance of overdose.
- Relapse anxiety – Long-term use may lead to tolerance, so the original anxiety often comes back but worse than before.
- Panic – The return of anxiety can often trigger panic attacks
- Insomnia – The back of fear may also make it very challenging to sleep
- Being Short Of Breath – Depression of the central nervous system can make even breathing more difficult
Some of the short-term effects may also be enhanced when the user abuses the drug in the long term, they include:
- Memory Loss
- Cognitive Impairment
Why Get Medical Help for Klonopin Abuse?
Klonopin is a beneficial drug is administered and taken correctly, in the dosage recommended.
However, when it is abused, it can be highly addictive and high dosages can lead to dangerous side effects. Because of its dangers, one should seek medical assistance, if any Klonopin side effects become noticeable.
Another reason one should seek medical help is Klonopin abuse, because of physical dangersit can bring. According to the Substance Abuse And Mental Health Services Administration, Klonopin use is on the rise. Furthermore, abuse deaths have been on the rise every year since 1999. In 2011, 7,161 people died from the drug in the US alone. As opposed to just over 1000 in 1999.
Clonazepam can also cause psychological issues. More and more psychological issues are being reported year on year because of the drug and those like it. This reinforces the danger it can bring.
Klonopin Side Effects – Avoiding The Worst
If one is suffering from the side effects on Klonopin, then it is essential to find a medical professional to guide away from abusing the drug. In the meantime, it is necessary to minimize the symptoms.
While taking Clonazepam for anxiety, there are a few ways to avoid the worst side effects and Klonopin withdrawals. When withdrawing from a drug, the original symptom often comes back stronger, in this case, anxiety. But with plenty of exercises, a magnesium filled diet, and even some relaxing yoga, can ensure that anxiety stays away. This will help to stay on track and rid of Klonopin and its side effects.