Due to its very addictive characteristics, you should only use Ritalin if prescribed. Self-medication is strictly forbidden because it can lead to heart failure and death. Therefore, it is important to know the Ritalin side effects.
Ritalin Minor Side Effects
Here are some of the minor Ritalin side effects. In most cases, they do not need medical attention:
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
- High blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- A headache
- Libido changes
Of course, you can prevent some Ritalin side effects by taking measures of precaution. For instance, to avoid sleeping problems, you should take medication in the morning. In addition, eating healthy and exercising may help you curb some of Ritalin side effects.
Ritalin Major Side Effects
- Allergic reaction
- Out of character behavior
- Aggressive behavior
- Unexplained bruises
- Inability to control movements
- Stroke symptoms such as weakness on one side of the body, confusion, vision or speech problems
- Joint pain
- Nose or sinuses infection
- Liver problems
- Heart attack symptoms such as pain in the left arm, sweating, and breathing issues
- Hair loss
- Vocal tics
- Black stool
- Blood in urine
In some cases, the major Ritalin side effects listed above do not occur quite often. However, they might be severe. Therefore, if you notice any of these symptoms, quickly tell your doctor. Otherwise, you can seek emergency medical help.
Consequently, self-medication will lead to tolerance and drug addiction. In some cases, a person may develop a tolerance to Ritalin. As a result, they need a larger dose to experience the full effects of the medication. Indeed, overdose is one of the life-threatening outcomes of Ritalin addiction. As a result, this severe condition can be fatal. In fact, this is important for users who have an undiagnosed heart condition.
Important Things to Note
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You shouldn’t be using Ritalin if you suffer from glaucoma, anxiety, tics, or agitation.
- If you have taken MAO inhibitors in the last 14 days, using Ritalin is strictly forbidden.
- You may notice some of the signs of allergic reaction. They are swelling of the throat and face, breathing difficulties, itching, and rash. In such cases, immediately seek professional help.
- Due to the very abusive traits, you should use Ritalin only if prescribed.
Make sure to inform your physician if you have certain conditions. They are high blood pressure, arrhythmia, heart problems, history of seizures, or EEG abnormalities. Also, it is of the essence to tell your doctor if you have a history of drug abuse. And last but not least, while on Ritalin, avoid using alcohol. It is because it can make the medicine absorb even faster.
Before taking Ritalin, inform your physician about any chronic disease you suffer from. In addition, you should also mention the potential history of mental illness and drug or alcohol abuse.
Also, make sure to tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Nonetheless, educate yourself on how to avoid unpleasant side effects.