Opana Side Effects: When It Is Time To Call Doctor
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
Side effects are an integral part of any medication therapy. By the same token, many Opana side effects are inevitable. However, a patient may not experience all of them at the time.
Likewise, only a few of them pose a serious health risk. The key lies in separating the serious ones from others. That way, the individual can cut down the risk of complications. Also, one may take some precautions to prevent some of the effects.
Table of Contents
A Quick Overview Of Opana And Its Side Effects
Opana is a powerful pain medication that treats moderate to severe pain. Doctors prescribe it for the pain that does not respond to other medications. It contains an opiate drug. They call it Oxymorphone.
It has a very high abuse potential. This is very much like other opiates. All things considered, they categorize it under Schedule II.
As a matter of fact, Opana side effects are the undesirable effects. Strangely enough, they occur when taken its normal doses. For this reason, they exclude the symptoms of an overdose. However, allergic reactions fall under the side effects.
They use different bases to categorize Opana side effects. These include:
- How often it occurs: Notably, it considers those who feel the effects in a scientific study. As a result, scientists express the data in a percentage. They may be common, less common, more common, and rare.
- Severity: According to this, Opana side effects can be severe, non-serious, and life-threatening.
- Physiological system affected: They include the effects that are exclusive to a specific system. For example, depression is a CNS symptom.
There is no gold standard guideline to categorize them. Consequently, the bases can differ. This is according to the type of the information the target audience requires. For example, a patient is less likely to take an interest in the name of the system affected. Interestingly, they are more eager to know the side effects. Therefore, they base it on the frequency or severity.
Common Opana Side Effects
The following Opana side effects occur in 1% to 10% of the patients. Indeed, they include:
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
- Reduced hunger
- Physical weakness
- Loss of weight
- Sleep problems
- Mental confusion
- Breathing difficulties
- Burning sensation and redness on the skin especially of the face and neck
- Elevated blood pressure
- Fullness in the stomach
- Symptoms of allergy
- Slowed pulse
- Altered consciousness
- Urinary problems
- Sense of well-being or feeling down
- Hallucinations (Seeing or listening to the things that are not real)
- Low blood pressure especially when changing the position
- Decreased mental functions
- Racing heartbeat
- Reduced pupil size
- Decreased breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Difficulty passing urine
- Skin rashes
Opana Risks That A Patient Should Know
Each patient should have a clear idea of when to seek help from the doctor. As a matter of fact, many Opana side effects become bearable over time. This is after the body adjusts to the medication. Even so, some may persist, worsen or cause significant troubles.
In such case, the individual should talk to the doctor.
On the other hand, allergic reactions always potentially dangerous. All things considered, one should call their doctor immediately. This is if the patient experiences any symptom indicating an allergy.
The severity and occurrence of Opana side effects can vary among the patients. For this reason, two patients may feel different symptoms. Quite a lot of factors determine this. For instance, genetics, overall health condition, and co-occurrence of other disorders. Moreover, if one is also taking other medications, the side effects may vary in the severity.
The following Opana side effects could show some complications. Thus, call a doctor right away if experiencing:
- Persistent vision problems
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Breathing difficulties
- Mental confusion
- Changes in consciousness
Symptoms Of Allergy To Opana
Allergic reactions are the results of an abnormal response of the immune function. On one hand, it can be against Oxymorphone itself or any ingredient in the preparation. In any case, the immune cells mistake it for a foreign particle. As a result, they launch an abnormal immune attack. Opana allergy is rare. Nevertheless, it warrants an emergency medical care.
Therefore, watch for the following symptoms of allergy.
- Severe dizziness
- Severe breathing problems
- Swelling of the face, tongue or throat
Opana Addiction Dangers
Of course, Opana is very addictive in nature. In fact, the addiction potential is a noteworthy side effect of Opana.
For that reason, it is a Schedule II controlled substance. The risk multiplies higher and hgigher when a person abuses it. As a result, tolerance and withdrawal develop very rapidly.
Therefore, watch for the typical signs of a looming addiction problem.
- Taking larger doses to achieve high
- Being unable to feel normal without a daily dose
- Having strong cravings
Talk to the experts to know more about Opana side effects. In fact, they are one of the very few trusted sources of any health or medical information.
Addiction centers have facilities with every resource to help someone with an addiction. They have a qualified medical staff. They will create personal addiction treatment plans, and provisions for auxiliary care. With the right treatment, the users can expect a complete recovery.
Do not hold back, get the best rehabs page here.
- Shanna Babalonis, Michelle R. Lofwall, Paul A. Nuzzo, Sharon L. Walsh. Pharmacodynamic effects of oral oxymorphone: Abuse liability, analgesic profile and direct physiological effects in humans. Addict Biol. 2016 Jan; 21(1): 146–158. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4383736/
- Katherine L. Boyle, Christopher D. Rosenbaum. Oxymorphone Insufflation Associated with Acute Sensorineural Hearing Loss: Case Files of the University of Massachusetts Medical Toxicology Fellowship. J Med Toxicol. 2013 Jun; 9(2): 179–183. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3657028/
- Hassan Mehmood, Muzammil Khan, Asghar Marwat, Medha Joshi, Varun Malhotra. Opana ER (Oxymorphone)–Induced Thrombotic Microangiopathy: An Atypical Presentation in a Patient With Hepatitis C. J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep. 2018 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5802609/
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.