There are no Kratom medicinal uses in the US. However, people use it in daily life for managing pain, treating different diseases, and increasing productivity because of the compounds, known as alkaloids, that are presented in the leaves. Kratom usage causes psychotropic effects similar to opioids and stimulants. This article is determined to show the ways how to use kratom, its mechanism of action, and its effects on patient health.
Learn About Kratom Uses And MOA:
What Is Kratom Used For?
There are numerous kratom uses, but none of them is approved by the Food & Drug Administration. Regardless of the FDA warnings, people continue to use different strains of kratom for the following purposes:
- pain relief
- anxiety and depression
- opiate withdrawal
- sleeping problems (insomnia)
- weight loss
- migraines and headaches, etc.
These and other uses of Mitragyna speciosa plant are described below.
Does Kratom Help With Pain
The survey showed that kratom for pain is widely used among middle-aged, middle-income people from the United States that suffered from fibromyalgia, chronic pain, and cancer-related pain. Components existed in the leaves interact with opioid receptors and reduce ache perception. The herb can help to overcome the opioid crisis and relieve hurting feelings. Some may take the plant to the plain and use it there for pain relief. To be certain whether flying with kratom is legal, it is important to clarify it before, not to break the state’s law.
Kratom For Anxiety & Depression
The 2017 review found that kratom uses improve mood, deal with depression, and relieve anxiety, including social anxiety, causing sedative effects. Using kratom for anxiety in the dosage of 4 grams per day can manage the disturbance and spontaneous waves of anger.
There are no standardized and regulated doses, qualities, and effectiveness from the drug consumption, and characteristics of the product can differ from vendor to vendor. That is why it is important to check the information and consult with respective specialists.
Does Kratom Help With Opiate Withdrawal?
The report shows that using kratom for opiate withdrawal can be an effective treatment and ease the withdrawal symptoms, but in long terms, it could lead to opioid misuse, dependence, and addiction. The patient in the study did not receive any adverse effects. However, in 2017, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued the advisory and highlighted 36 deaths from kratom-related products. When deciding on whether to consume the drug or not, it is better to familiarize oneself with all existing information, including how to take kratom powder, to prevent unwelcome consequences.
Kratom For ADHD
Scientists have found a correlation between dopamine-serotonin levels in people with ADHD. Herb alkaloids interact with opioid receptors and, as a result, send signals to the body to release dopamine. Also, mitragynine presented in the drug activates serotonergic pathways. That is why people with ADHD can obtain benefits from kratom usage. Still, it is better to use approved medical alternatives to minimize potential risks.
Kratom For Sleep
Although the availability and number of research on Mitragyna speciosa are limited, there is some evidence from the drug users that specific leaf strains can help with sleep disorders and provide a relaxing effect. On the other hand, the substance has a stimulant effect that can lead to extra alertness and energy, including problems with falling and staying asleep. In some cases, people who use kratom for insomnia regularly may suffer from withdrawal symptoms such as nervousness, muscle pain, depression, and shaking.
Kratom For Weight Loss
Kratom use can suppress appetite that reduces food consumption, and increase the energy that contributes to a more active lifestyle. Stimulating the feeling of inspiration and optimism, people more eagerly train and workout. Using the supplement solely may not gain a desirable result and lead to depression. Weight loss during taking the drug should be considered as a side effect, not an ultimate goal.
The green Maeng da, red Thai, and white vein herb strains are considered to have the most weight-reducing effect. Mitragyna speciosa strains such as Indo, Bali, and Borneo should be avoided as they produce high analgetic and sedative effects.
Kratom For Hangover
There are no reports on using kratom for a hangover; however, taking it in small doses causes pain relief and increases energy. Overindulgence of the drug can also lead to a hangover, the condition accompanied by vomiting, nausea, headache, and lethargy. The symptoms typically occur in a few hours after excessive usage.
Kratom For Inflammatory Diseases
Being an analgesic, people can feel kratom anti-inflammatory effect after the drug administration, because it helps to ease the discomfort and pain. The plant contains alkaloids with immunostimulant characteristics that can promptly struggle with infection and enhance immunity.
According to the report, Mitragyna speciosa, especially in combination with other substances, can cause severe headaches and disorientation. Symptoms gradually decreased after the 5 days of hospitalization, and blood pressure returned to normal.
Using kratom in multiple uncontrolled doses on a daily basis may be the main reason to provoke migraines, too. These symptoms may also be a part of the withdrawal from kratom. The most important in such situations is to stay hydrated. As the plant refers to the coffee family, it can cause the same effect by rapidly losing the water. In addition, to smooth the pain, one can massage the forehead, neck, and shoulders.
Kratom For Energy And Focus
Traditionally, Mitragyna speciosa was used by farmers and manual workers in Southeast Asia as an energy booster that helped to work more efficiently during the work shifts. Nowadays, using kratom for energy helps to reduce fatigue and stimulate attention concentration. However, the result depends on the dosage and concentration of alkaloids. The lower dose can stimulate physical and energy boost, relaxation, and mental clarity. The higher dose may cause analgesia and euphoria that can badly influence the level of focus. Using kratom can not always benefit the person, so it is better to first read the description and warnings to the product or abstain from it in favor of kratom substitutes that are medically approved.
Kratom Pre-Workout Use
The World Anti-Doping Agency does not define the status of Mitragyna speciosa or its products. Though, as it can increase vasodilation and deals with chronic pain, the drug is popular among athletes and powerlifters. As a pre-workout supplement, using kratom can provide an influx of energy and increase the duration of the workout session. In general, it can improve the effectiveness of cardio practices, lifting, running, and other exercises. However, there is no guarantee of how one’s body will react.
Kratom Before Surgery
There were no reported cases of general anesthesia in a patient chronically using kratom. Still, it is advised to abstain from it in a preoperational period. The best is to consult with a doctor to avoid undesirable reactions.
Kratom Mechanism Of Action
What Does Kratom Do?
Kratom uses provoke effects which are similar to the mechanism of action of stimulants and opioids. There are two compounds in the leaves: mitragynine and 7-α-hydroxymitragynine, which stimulate the opioid receptors in the brain and cause the feeling of pleasure, exaggerated elation, and pain relief, especially after consumption in big amounts of the plant. In a small amount, people can feel mood enhancement and alertness instead of sedation.
On the other hand, Mitragyna speciosa products are unregulated and unstandardized, and its usage can lead to hallucinations, seizures, and liver damage, especially in combination with such substances as alcohol. Furthermore, this drug is listed as a Drug and Chemical of Concern by DEA.
How Long Does It Take For Kratom To Work?
The effects of kratom use typically start occurring after 10-15 minutes after the administration. The highest results could be visible after 40 minutes if a person applies the drug on an empty stomach. After a heavy meal, it will take from 60 to 90 minutes on average to start working. Also, if the drug is used in the form of a capsule, it will also take more time to see the result because the capsule needs to dissolve in the stomach.
How Long Does Kratom Last?
Kratom uses and benefits are different for every person. The effect depends on the dosage, strain, age, gender, tolerance on many other factors. The doses up to 10 grams last from 2 to 8 hours.
Administering more than 8 grams invokes strong analgetic/sedative effects, that is why it is very objectionable to use. As a product that has not medical recommendations from competent institutions, it is dangerous to consume in a large amount because it can cause not only short term but also heavy long term effects of kratom.
How To Deal With Drug Misuse
There are several kratom pros and cons, which are described in the article. Taking kratom daily may cause changes in the physical and mental conditions, which do not always bring benefits to human health. Despite being legal in the United States, it is important to remember that it is not approved by the FDA, and there is no sufficient evidence about uses, dosage, and ways of intake.
Nowadays, there is no specific medical treatment from its addiction. However, people usually conduct behavioral therapy as a part of addiction treatment to stop consuming the product. The long term use may result in drug abuse; it is better to address the complaints to drug rehab centers for professional help.
- Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on the agency’s scientific evidence on the presence of opioid compounds in kratom, underscoring its potential for abuse. FDA. 2018. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/statement-fda-commissioner-scott-gottlieb-md-agencys-scientific-evidence-presence-opioid-compounds.
- Swogger MT, Walsh Z. Kratom use and mental health: A systematic review. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2018; 183(1): 134-140. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.10.012. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0376871617305586?via%3Dihub.
- Boyer EW, Babu KM, Adkins JE, McCurdy CR, Halpern JH. Self-treatment of opioid withdrawal using kratom (Mitragynia speciosa korth). Addiction. 2008; 103(6): 1048–1050. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.2008.02209.x. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3670991/.
- Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D. on FDA advisory about deadly risks associated with kratom. FDA. 2018. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/statement-fda-commissioner-scott-gottlieb-md-fda-advisory-about-deadly-risks-associated-kratom.
- Oades RD. Dopamine-serotonin interactions in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Progress in Brain Research. 2008; 172: 543-65. doi: 10.1016/S0079-6123(08)00926-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18772050.
- Jack E. Henningfield, Reginald V. Fant, and Daniel W. Wang. The abuse potential of kratom according the 8 factors of the controlled substances act: implications for regulation and research. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2018; 235(2): 573–589. doi: 10.1007/s00213-017-4813-4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5813050/.
- Fluyau D, Revadigar N. Biochemical Benefits, Diagnosis, and Clinical Risks Evaluation of Kratom. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2017; 8:62. doi:10.3389/fpsyt.2017.00062. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5402527/.
- Castillo A, Payne JD, Nugent K. Posterior reversible leukoencephalopathy syndrome after kratom ingestion. Proceedings (Baylor University. Medical Center). 2017; 30(3): 355–357. doi:10.1080/08998280.2017.11929647. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5468044/.
- Kratom. National Institute on Drug Abuse. 2019. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/kratom.
- Natural Herb Kratom May Have Therapeutic Effects And Relatively Low Potential For Abuse Or Harm, According To A User Survey. Johns Hopkins Medicine. 2020. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/newsroom/news-releases/natural-herb-kratom-may-have-therapeutic-effects-and-relatively-low-potential-for-abuse-or-harm-according-to-a-user-survey.