What is DMT?
DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) is a psychedelic substance that causes hallucinations, sensory alterations, and out-of-body-experience. DMT is also naturally present in our brain as a neurotransmitter produced by the pineal gland.
What are the Factors That Influence the Duration of DMT’s Presence in Your System?
- Route of administration—DMT can be smoked, injected, or taken orally. If a person takes the drug orally, it takes more time for the effects to reach their peak. Therefore it will take more time for the drug to leave thier system as well.
- Co-administered MAOI—DMT users tend to take a particular MAOI agent to prolong the effects of the drug.
- Body type—the larger the dose compared to a person’s body mass, the more difficult it will be to metabolize the drug.
- Genetics—some people are genetically predisposed, due to deficient activity of the certain enzymes, to metabolize MAOI agents much longer than healthy individuals.
- Urinary pH—users with lower urinary pH metabolize DMT slower than people who’s urine pH is higher.
- Kidney function— kidneys process most of the DMT. Therefore, people with kidney problems need more time to excrete the drug.
- The frequency of use—for a single dose of DMT it takes only 2 hours to leave your system. On the other hand, frequent users need more time to eliminate the drug from the body.
How Long Does DMT Stay in Your Blood/ Urine/ Saliva/ Hair?
A urine test is conducted to detect DMT and its metabolites 2-5 days after the last dose. This technique is very popular due to the simplicity of administration and non-invasive traits.
A blood test is rarely used in DMT detection because in most cases, the drug becomes undetectable in one’s blood.
A saliva test can detect the presence of DMT in one’s body one day after the last dose.
A hair test can detect the presence of DMT in one’s body 90 days post discontinuation. A specimen of person’s hair is collected and sent to a lab for analysis to detect DMT or its metabolites.
How is DMT Metabolized?
If injected, DMT crosses the blood-barrier seconds after the injection.
In the case of a neglectable amount, DMT can remain in the brain up to a week. Furthermore, DMT is mostly excreted through urine and eliminates from the system within two hours.
The Duration of DMT Effects
In most cases, DMT effects start within a few seconds and reach their peak half an hour after ingestion. After 60 hours, DMT effects should be completely gone. The time frame can vary, depending on factors such as the amount of the drug taken, and the route of administration.