Meth and Crystal Meth Detox: A Complete Guide To A Sober Life
Important InformationThis information is for educational purposes only. We never invite or suggest the use, production or purchase of any these substances. Addiction Resource and it’s employees, officers, managers, agents, authors, editors, producers, and contributors shall have no direct or indirect liability, obligation, or responsibility to any person or entity for any loss, damage, or adverse consequences alleged to have happened as a consequence of material on this website. See full text of disclaimer.
These chemicals are very addictive in nature. When abused especially for a long time, the risk of addiction rises a lot.
If one have already have developed dependence, they should enroll in a crystal meth detox program.
What is the Difference Between Meth And Crystal Meth?
Meth, an acronym for Methamphetamine, is a CNS stimulant medication that treats ADHD. It is available only on a doctor’s prescription. On the contrary, crystal meth is a crystalline form of the medication that has no medical use. In fact, it is an illegal drug. Both these chemicals can be habit-forming.
They produce pleasurable effects in the users. It is for the same reason many young individuals develop an ongoing addiction. As a result, it will leave various adverse effects on many parts of the user’s life. For example, their health, relationships, academic performance and the list goes on.
What Is Meth And Crystal Meth Detox?
Detox is the first step of a long journey to a drug-free life. Meth and crystal meth detox refer to a gradual reduction in their doses. Of course, the aim is to clear the last molecule of the drug from the body. Moreover, patient may achieve some medications to ease this process. These will try to counter unpleasant symptoms during the process.
They do not recommend an abrupt discontinuation. It is because such practice may result in potentially dangerous effects. They call them meth withdrawal symptoms.
Why Do One Need Meth Detox?
Meth abuse and addiction is a major health problem in the US. In addition, the negative effects extend further to other parts of life. In fact, it reaches into the socioeconomic, legal and mental health areas.
Unfortunately, some of the abusers have died suddenly. The modern medical science has not been able to explain the reason behind such tragic event.
For these reasons, an addicted person should start Meth and crystal meth detox as early as possible. As a matter of fact, an early and effective treatment can provide a safe and quick road to a complete recovery.
How Long Does Meth and Crystal Meth Detox Last?
Usually, Meth and crystal meth detox lasts for about 2 weeks. During this period, a patient will go through different phases of the treatment.
After a patient stop taking it, that is when the real struggle begins. As a result, a person will develop certain not so pleasant conditions. These include severe mood swings, sleep problems, and many other unpleasant symptoms. This occurs within a day after the last dose.
Then the symptoms worsen over the next 7 days. In fact, they call this period a peak time for the Meth withdrawal symptoms. Regrettably, this is the time when one is most likely to have a relapse. Consult a doctor if the symptoms become unbearable.
Factors That May Influence The Withdrawal Symptoms Severity and Duration
Withdrawal symptoms vary in severity and duration depending on various underlying factors. For example, a personal physical and genetic traits.
The other influential factors may include:
- How much Meth had been abused: Heavy usage is more likely to cause more severe symptoms during the detox.
- How long Meth had been abused: With a longer the history of abuse, the symptoms tend to become more severe.
How A Patient May Feel Like?
Essentially, one would want to forget every last experience they had. Sometimes, this happens during Meth and crystal meth detox. However, it can happen once a patient become sober again.
Learning about these symptoms can help to prepare oneself on a mental level.
- Depressive thoughts
- Dryness of mouth
- Excessive physical tiredness
- Extreme sleepiness
- Increased hunger
- Paranoia which causes extreme fear, nervousness, and misconceptions
What Are Meth Detox Treatment Options?
Health professionals do not recommend Meth and crystal meth detox at home. This is considering the risk of dangerous complications that may occur. For the same reason, one should consider taking a professional help, and then, enroll in a treatment at a detox center.
First of all, they will provide a peaceful and trigger-free environment. In addition, they also have places where one can use the different medications. Also, they will also provide other supportive therapies.
- Medications: British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 2010. “Pharmacological approaches to methamphetamine dependence: a focused review”. This study shows certain drugs may be useful in treating and easing the symptoms. For example, there are the cravings as well as other Meth withdrawal symptoms. The drugs are Provigil (Modafinil), Wellbutrin (Bupropion), Ritalin (Methylphenidate), Topamax (Topiramate).
- Provision for mental intervention and behavioral therapies: This approach may be the best to treat the patients having Meth dependence. This is according to several studies.
What One Can Do In The Meantime
At the same time, a patient should arm themselves with some positive thoughts and healthy habits. Try to do these while the medications are playing their role. That way, one will be able to beat it hard. Consider the following tips.
- Keep an eye on ther goals
- Stay motivated and positive even when everything seems like falling apart
- Take charge of the cravings
- Be patient
- Take healthy foods and enough rest. Increase the intake of fluids to ensure to stay hydrated.
- Get enough sleep
- Stay in regular contact with the friends and relatives
Get Help Now
Addiction counselor can suggest different ways to fight an addiction and help to come out cleaner. Rehabilitation and detox centers have a team of qualified health professionals. They can make the journey to sobriety swifter and easier. If one wants to know more about the Meth and crystal meth detox and meth rehabilitation centers near Click here.
- Luo YL, Bian JW, Zheng ZJ, Zhao L, Han S, Sun XH, Li JF, Ni GX. Effects of methamphetamine abuse on spatial cognitive function. Sci Rep. 2018. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5882954/
- Cadet JL, Brannock C, Jayanthi S, Krasnova IN. Transcriptional and epigenetic substrates of methamphetamine addiction and withdrawal: evidence from a long-access self-administration model in the rat. Mol Neurobiol. 2015 Apr;51(2):696-717. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4359351/
Where do calls go
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by Delphi Behavioral Health Group or other treatment providers.