Adderall is a prescription drug administered to both adults and children suffering from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Since it is a potent stimulant, people also use this drug to enhance productivity and alertness. However, it might negatively affect the body system as it influences all the organs. That said, Adderall use in pregnancy is not recommended as it stays in system for a relatively long period and can affect the fetus.
There are two variants of this stimulant; Adderall IR (immediate release) and Adderall XR (extended release). Most of the abusers of this drug, wrongly assume that the drug is safe because it is prescribed by doctors. Others resort to snorting Adderall XR for immediate effects. This can be harmful to your system in the long run.
Variables that Affect How Long Adderall Stays in Your System
Following ingestion, Adderall IR peaks after 3 hours while XR takes about 7 hours. This notwithstanding, Adderall half-life is almost the same for both variants, lasting between 9 and 14 hours in your system.
There are many ways of taking the drug such as oral, intravenous, nasal, and rectal. Plugging Adderall is considered to be widespread for the recreational purposes as it allows to get higher faster. However, the type of intake does not affect the amphetamine half-life and elimination timeline.
If you are interested to know how long Adderall stays in system the answer is, it all depends. There are several factors that determine this duration. Some of them are:
- Age – A young person actively eliminates this stimulant from their system faster compared to an older person.
- Kidney and Liver Health – People with kidney or liver problems take much longer to get rid of this drug from their body.
- Body Type – Low levels of muscle mass and high levels of body fat are favorable factors associated with the faster elimination of this drug. Shorter people are also at an advantage compared to taller ones.
- Urinary pH Levels – People with high pH levels in their urine take a long time to excrete this drug from their system.
- Metabolism – An active metabolic rate shortens the time to eliminate the stimulant from the body. However, active drug users especially young people learning how to smoke Adderall may overburden their metabolic system.
- Genetics – Genetically, some people are predisposed to get rid of Adderall faster from their system. This is because of the rate of activity of a drug metabolizing enzyme known as CYP2D6.
- Food and Water Intake – Drinking lots of water tasks the kidney to excrete waste at a much higher rate. In the process, the drug is also eliminated from the body. Try taking Adderall on an empty stomach if you can because this also speeds up its removal.
- The Type of Adderall You Take – The immediate release variety is usually eliminated faster than the extended release type. However, those looking for Adderall for sale shall know that Adderall XR half-life doesn’t differ so much from IR.
- The Frequency of Intake – Since the drug stays in the system for a much longer period, frequent intake may cause an accumulation of metabolites that take longer to eliminate. However, the longer elimination period is not the biggest danger – frequent users are also likely to overdose Adderall.
- Other factors that play a role in determining how long is Adderall in your system include dosage and the combination of other substances in your body. For example, Adderall and weed taken together might slower the elimination of both the substances.
How Long Adderall Stays in Urine
Depending on the quantity of Adderall you take into your system, the question of how long Adderall stays in your urine can have varying answers. On average, an Adderall urine test can show positive results for approximately 2 to 4 days following ingestion.
Does Adderall show up in a drug test? Yes, chronic users of the drug can test positive in urine samples for up to 7 days, according to findings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
How Long Adderall Stays in Blood
The immediate release variety has higher bioavailability. Immediately you ingest it, it produces peak plasma concentrations in your body in just 3 hours. On the other hand, Adderall 10 mg XR variety produces a peak concentration in the plasma 6 hours after ingestion.
How Long Adderall Stays in Hair
The decomposition of this drug in the body results in several metabolites. Tests done on hair show traces of this drug even a month after taking your dose. In average, Adderall removes from hair within 90-days period.
How Long Adderall Stays in Saliva
On average, tests conducted show that the drug can stay in saliva for up to 24 hours. The Food and Drug Administration is yet to approve saliva tests to establish the presence of this drug in the body. However, the saliva Adderall drug tests are possible.
Types of Drug Tests for Adderall Use
Employers have an obligation to comply with workplace safety measures one of which is to design a drug-free workplace. To facilitate this, they conduct regular tests as part of their pre-employment regulations, periodic, and random tests to deter drug use and occasionally testing employees upon reasonable suspicion. Adderall abuse can be examined through the following types of drug tests.
This type of Adderall drug test is suitable for all scenarios from pre-employment to post-accident. Through this, you can detect new or recent drug use in your system for up to 3 days from the last dose. Urine is the only federally-mandated specimen for testing the drug in the safety-sensitive workforce. It gives a fairly accurate estimate that addresses the query on how long does Adderall stay in urine.
Oral Fluid Testing
This screening method is commonly utilized and helps to detect drug use in your system within 24 to 36 hours after ingestion. Employers administer oral fluid collections under the direct watch of a test administrator. This reduces chances of donor tampering.
Hair Follicle Testing
The longer detection window hair testing provides enhanced its appeal. Through this mode of testing, you can detect a drug use history of up to 90 days in your body. However, hair testing mainly shows a pattern of use as opposed to recent drug usage.
It is not easy to adulterate the collection of samples for testing or cheating on drug use by quitting Adderall in advance before the test.
However, the hair test for Adderall is not very reliable in the short-term perspective as it does not show the drug traces if Adderall was consumed less than seven days ago.
To help one analyze drug usage for the employees, a blood test can be conducted. However, this test is effective within 12 to 24 hours after the drug intake. It is not recommended for a duration longer than this as before and after that time limit test is unlikely to show a positive result.
How to Eliminate Adderall From System Faster
How long does it take for Adderall to get out of your system? This largely depends on your detox procedure. This notwithstanding, you can facilitate the elimination of this drug from your system post-administration. Below are a few ways to do this.
Water is very effective in eliminating this stimulant from your body mainly because of its solubility. The higher water content in your body prevents the drug from being stored in fatty tissues. Water intake also helps to dilute your saliva and urine thus decreasing the concentration of the drug together with its metabolites.
The best way on how to get Adderall out of your system fast is to increase the quantity of water you drink.
Science has a rule that the more acidic your urine is, the faster the drug will leave your system. Vitamin C helps in acidifying your urine thus eliminating the drug from your body. You can go for vitamin C supplements or natural juices immediately after intake.
Weaning Off Gradually
This is one of the natural ways on how to get Adderall out of your system. Instead of an abrupt withdrawal that may come with undesirable symptoms, the best approach is to wean off under medical supervision slowly. Reducing the dosage over time can fight off dependency and Adderall addiction.
Getting Help With Removing Adderall From System
How long does it take for Adderall to leave your system? If you are a habitual drug user, this will take quite a while. You should also appreciate that quitting this drug on your own can be such a challenge because of the withdrawal symptoms and other side effects of Adderall. Instead of quitting “cold turkey,” get help from experienced professionals.
People addicted to the stimulant have a wide range of treatment options including addiction rehabilitation centers for those with longer Adderall abuse histories. In addition, some practitioners may suggest l tyrosine for Adderall comedown and withdrawal symptoms.
It is possible for you to get treatment through cognitive behavioral therapy sessions combined with other treatment modules. Every patient deserves a tailored drug addiction treatment procedure that works for them.
If you or your loved one is addicted to Adderall or would like to get it out of their system, our professional support from rehab centers is ready to help. Call us today on 888-459-5511, our 24-hour hotline, to speak to our representative. All the phone calls are confidential and free of charge.