Table of Contents
What is AL-LAD?
It’s a psychedelic drug, of the lysergic chemical class. As a member of that class of substances, it produces effects like LSD and, chemically, has a similar molecule shape and structure.
AL-LAD was first created by Hoffman and Nichols in 1984 as part of an investigation into a series of LSD alternatives. Its effect on humans was documented by Alexander Shulgin. In his book TIHKAL, an abbreviation for Tryptamines I Have Known and Loved, Shulgin described his personal experience with the chemical, reporting its recreational properties and compelling visuals.
Recreational use of AL-LAD is legally prosecuted as is considered as drug abuse.
Other anecdotal evidence supports this, as it is described in relation to LSD. In comparison it is seen as more visual, with a less introspective headspace.
It isn’t illegal at a federal level, unlike the vast majority of drugs, and is seen as a grey market alternative to LSD.
AL-LAD: Definitions & History
AL-LAD is an interesting psychedelic. Another name of the drug is 6-allyl-6-nor-lysergic acid diethylamide. To put it clearer, it is a 6-alkylated analog of nor-LSD. Psychedelics have always been of interest to people who want to experiment with their senses, boundaries and even parallel universes.
It was created at the same time as a number of other alternatives to LSD, including PRO-LAD. It is commonly sold through research chemical websites.
Al-LAD is not listed as a specific illegal drug in the US, however it is considered an analogue for LSD, and thus is illegal to possess for human consumption under the Federal Analogue Act.
AL-LAD High Effects
- Stimulation – AL-LAD can lead to increased energy levels
- Spontaneous Physical Sensations – AL-LAD can lead to both spontaneous euphoria and a fast moving sharp tingling sensation throughout the body
- Changes in felt bodily form – AL-LAD can also change the perception of physical weight along with a feeling of bodily unity
- Tactile Enhancement – AL-LAD can lead to an increased sensation in nerve endings throughout the body, enhancing sense of feeling.
- Increased Stamina
- Enhance perceptions of colour and shape
- Visual distortions including drifting, which means distortions appear highly detailed and almost cartoon-like in appearance
- Hallucinatory states- AL-LAD is known to create hallucinations shaped with soft, curved edges
Synaesthesia can also take place. This is a blending or mixing of the senses, such as being able to taste colors, see music or hear smells.
AL-LAD can lead to increased perceptions of creativity, including an increased appreciation of music and sense of humour. Cognitive euphoria, along with an increased ability to conduct lateral thinking.
Most users report beautiful patterns, bright colors, and vibrations. One user reported that a great feeling of merging with the general creative consciousness is possible. However, almost everyone agrees that when on AL-LAD music sounds incredible.
When compareing it with other psychedelics, such as LSD, Psilocybin, and DOC, AL-LAD leads to more striking visuals. Furthermore, the effects are shorter but the comedown is believed to be quite enjoyable.
AL-LAD: Side Effects And Risks
Like any other drug, it has negative side effects:
- Appetite suppression
- Difficulty urinating
- Increased perspiration
- Muscle spasms
- Thought loops
- Deja vu
- High heart rate
- Vasoconstriction (the constriction of the blood vessels)
- Difficulties with thinking and focusing
- Possible laughter fits
- Temperature Regulation Suppression
In some cases, users report unusual body sensations, such as tremors, and a long lasting stabbing-like pressure in the head. As a result, there are some negative mental effects related to changes in cognition. People say they’ve experienced weird thinking patterns and a chain of distorted thoughts. In fact, people have also reported irrational fear and panic attacks, close to a “madhouse.”
Of course, don’t forget that bad trips are always a risk. Strangely enough, some experienced users with LSD and other psychedelics say that things become cartoon-like and difficult to handle when on AL-LAD.
Potential for Harm
The potential for self-harming or someone else when using a drug is always a risk.
AL-LAD is a relatively new drug, as such, its effects when taken with another substance aren’t fully known. Anecdotal evidence suggests it amplifies the physical effects of whatever it is taken with, for instance, when taken with cannabis, it amplifies the visual and cognitive effects of both drugs. It can also amplify the anxiety, confusion and psychosis.
It is advisable to avoid tramadol when using AL-LAD, as tramadol lowers the threshold for seizures while AL-LAD can cause them. It is also advisable to avoid Lithium for similar reasons.
It is worth mentioning that pairing AL-LAD with alcohol is generally a bad idea due to alcohols ability to cause dehydration, nausea and physical fatigue.
The toxicity and lethal doses of AL-LAD are as of right now, unknown, due to it being a new drug with very little research conducted into it.
Anecdotal evidence from users suggests that it is relatively harmless provided it is used very sparingly in small to moderate doses. As a psychedelic, it has relatively few physical side effects and risks. The few studies that have been conducted show that it does not create any new physical, cognitive, psychological or sensory conditions. However it has been postulated that use can trigger latent conditions that people have but are unaware of.
It’s a new drug, part of the so-called Research Chemicals. In fact, some people take the drug for research purposes. However, as there isn’t enough data about its toxic and long-term effects, more studies are necessary. Obviously, one should take the drug with caution. Some long-term effects related to one’s mental health can include panic and paranoia. Therefore, one shouldn’t ignore flashbacks.
Take AL-LAD Safely
Never take AL-LAD at work, while driving or operating heavy machinery. This is to keep the patients safe, as well as those around. Furthermore, despite the fact that one can easily purchase it on the Internet, is quite expensive, and its legal status is kind of unclear. Therefore, one should always consider the potential risks psychedelics carry. All in all, however exploring oneself and floating on visuals during AL-LAD trip can be unforgettable, be mindful of the dangers that come with drug intake.
- Coney L. D. et al. Genie in a blotter: A comparative study of LSD and LSD analogues’ effects and user profile. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental. https://www.academia.edu/33752516/Genie_in_a_blotter_A_comparative_study_of_LSD_and_LSD_analogues_effects_and_user_profile.
- Brandt S. D., Kavanagh P. V., Westphal F., et al. Return of the lysergamides. Part II: Analytical and behavioural characterization of N6 -allyl-6-norlysergic acid diethylamide (AL-LAD) and (2'S,4'S)-lysergic acid 2,4-dimethylazetidide (LSZ). Drug Testing and Analysis. 2017; 9(1):38–50. doi:10.1002/dta.1985. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5411264/.